Tank Decor Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Suzy9mm

Reaction score
I'm eagerly working on finishing the set up of my cichlid tank. I'm picking out the rocks right now, and have three large texas holy rock pieces to go in, but I also kept a hold of some flat rocks I found while one a vacation. They are what seems to be sand stone and I did the vinegar test only to find that they make the vinegar bubble or fizz - I didn't get rid of them and I was wondering what exactly this fizz means because if it just raises the PH then that's alright with me. I guess all I'm asking is if anyone knows if this sand stone will be okay to put in the tank or not.

The vinegar test is used to determine the presence of calcium carbonate (think baking soda), which as you suspect, raises the ph and hardness. In most community tanks this is undesirable, however, since mbuna are from hard water, it's excellent for your tank. :good:

Quick Question then if im reading this right, and sorry i dont mean to steal this thread. Anyways so its safe to add baking soda to your tank to raise the ph? What would be a good measurement per gallon? or per 10 gallons?

baking soda is safe as long as it's not raised to fast. If there are buffers already in the tank (limestone, aragonite, etc) then buffering isn't needed. And before it's add, you'd want to mix it in some aquarium water in a separate container so it's dissolved already and then add it to the tank.

baking soda is safe as long as it's not raised to fast. If there are buffers already in the tank (limestone, aragonite, etc) then buffering isn't needed. And before it's add, you'd want to mix it in some aquarium water in a separate container so it's dissolved already and then add it to the tank.

Yup, and it's difficult to give you a set amount to add per gallon, since it depends on what your ph/kh levels are already. The easiest way to figure that out is to experiment with different amounts in a bucket. :good:

Im glad I found this site. I too was wondering if I could add sandstone to my Mbuna tank. I have sandstone ranging in colour from Red through to yellow, and all shades in between. I think my new tank is going to look awesome!! :hyper:

Thanks guys..... and girls

Im glad I found this site. I too was wondering if I could add sandstone to my Mbuna tank. I have sandstone ranging in colour from Red through to yellow, and all shades in between. I think my new tank is going to look awesome!! :hyper:

Thanks guys..... and girls

Sounds like an interesting tank, make sure you take lots of pics. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back