Tank Deco

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Clarousel

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this :S

My tank is looking rather naked compared to what I've seen around here. I've got 4 different plants in there and I'm wondering what else I can put in for decoration and fun for the fish.

Is there anything I can make as well?

How big is tank? Caves, bogwood as center piece, more plants.

You can make coconut caves they are rather easy to do. Add some java moss to it as well to make it green to blend in with the plants if you wanted :good:

I'd get a good few more plants in there too, background, midground and foreground. What size is the tank? Any pictures?

My tank is 60cm x 30cm. Hmm no picture at the moment. Will take some tomorrow cause it's kinda dark now.

Oh I saw someone's coconut caves on the forum and I think it's quite cute. May not be able to find the husks here though D: I thought of adding some wood. Do you have to "treat" it though? Read that you have to do some soaking.

My tank is 60cm x 30cm. Hmm no picture at the moment. Will take some tomorrow cause it's kinda dark now.

Oh I saw someone's coconut caves on the forum and I think it's quite cute. May not be able to find the husks here though D: I thought of adding some wood. Do you have to "treat" it though? Read that you have to do some soaking.

Hi i have a coconut cave, might be in the photos on my sig link? but i was lazy and bought it for about £7 with java moss attached from plantedtanks.com i think?

Theres quite a few types of wood you can get, some though arent good. The ones i know are fine are Mopani and redwood. with my wood i just let it soak for 24hrs in hot water in a bucket, then repeat a for a few days. mainly to let it soak up water to sink. my redwood though i had to tie down in the tnak with a bag of gravel for a couple of months. The other reason is because they can release tannins into the water which can lower PH slightly and stain the water a tea colour. personally im trying to get a lower ph for my type of fish and i light the water to be a bit stained so i dont rinse for days and days.

how about an airstone? these are simple, cheap and easy! my fish have always liked them and it helps ripple the surface water which is increases the absorption of water into tank =. 0)
once i had a 2foot aircurtain along the back lol

what plants have you got? i like vallis, java moss, jave fern & anubias

Here's my tank!

IMG_4053.jpg

I'd love to make coconut caves but I think it's a little tedious and I have nothing near a saw to cut it with. Maybe I'll go look around for some wood when I have the time!

Here's my tank!

IMG_4053.jpg

I'd love to make coconut caves but I think it's a little tedious and I have nothing near a saw to cut it with. Maybe I'll go look around for some wood when I have the time!

Let me just start by saying your tank is Lovely and clean, looks really calm too!
Personlly i love the big bushy plastic plants that have lots of tihn leaves (good for baby fry in my case)

But i think your tank looks nice as it is..

Yay! Just cleaned it yesterday :lol: They're not plastic, they're real :) I was thinking of getting some long-ish ones but they may just make the tank look cluttered...

Was also wondering if my tank looks overstocked (though some of the fishes were behind the plants when I snapped the photo). Would love to get 5 more neons for the lonely fella...

Yay! Just cleaned it yesterday :lol: They're not plastic, they're real :) I was thinking of getting some long-ish ones but they may just make the tank look cluttered...

Was also wondering if my tank looks overstocked (though some of the fishes were behind the plants when I snapped the photo). Would love to get 5 more neons for the lonely fella...

Well if you keep your plants in one corner then you can have it as a hidey area for the fishies to go into and also have the rest of the tank free space for the larger fish that prefer to stay out of the plants, OR you could put the plants in little groups in each corner, either way i think it looks nice when the plants are in a group together..

your tank doesnt look overstocked to me, but neons love to stay in groups of at least 5 to be happy, i had 11 and my larger fish ate them all leaving one, which eventually died also over lonelyness i think!

Maybe think of getting a backing on your tank too? maybe a plain sea blue coloured one without the print, makes the tank look nice when the lights are on! :)

Good idea. I thought of grouping them up too.

My neons got nipped to death by the serpaes leaving just one :-( Thought he would die too but he sort of got braver, I think? Hmm if it doesn't looked overstocked I'm definitely gonna get more neons since the serpaes have kinda stopped their nipping :lol:

hi clarousel,

your tank looks great!! i think a few more plants would be good. definitely add some more neons as they do better in groups and do not like to be on their own!! i too bought a coconut cave from a lfs as i was too lazy to make one and my fish loved it. eventually my pair of bolivian rams claimed it as their own!! you can make decorations and caves using roofing slate (well soaked and cleaned!!) glued together with aquarium grade silicone. tbh though, i think this may be a bit dark for your tank as it looks really nice and bright atm. if i were you i would go for some extra plants and a coconut cave!! just my opinion though!! post some pics when you have decided!! will look forward to seeing how it turns out....looking really good just now though.

L. :good:

hi clarousel,

your tank looks great!! i think a few more plants would be good. definitely add some more neons as they do better in groups and do not like to be on their own!! i too bought a coconut cave from a lfs as i was too lazy to make one and my fish loved it. eventually my pair of bolivian rams claimed it as their own!! you can make decorations and caves using roofing slate (well soaked and cleaned!!) glued together with aquarium grade silicone. tbh though, i think this may be a bit dark for your tank as it looks really nice and bright atm. if i were you i would go for some extra plants and a coconut cave!! just my opinion though!! post some pics when you have decided!! will look forward to seeing how it turns out....looking really good just now though.

L. :good:

Thanks laura120381 :) Yeah I've decided to get more plants and neons. However I won't be able to go down to a lfs just yet. Can't wait though :lol: My tank gets quite a lot of sun in the day time, 'cept when it's all cloudly and stuff. It's a good thing so I can totally spy on the fish :drool: haha. Will do so, thanks for your suggestions :)

i wouldn't add anything else as it looks like theres alreadt too many in there, what do you have exactly?

i wouldn't add anything else as it looks like theres alreadt too many in there, what do you have exactly?

Just by coincidence. 4 dwarf gouramis, 4 black neons, 4 serpaes, 4 tiger barbs, 4 swordtails and 1 sole surviving neon.

Nice clean tank! But I do think you may have some incompatible choices of fish in there...just my opinion but I don't think peaceful gouramis and aggressive tiger barbs are too good together. Tiger barbs are lovely, fast swimming fish but they are known to be fin-nippers towards slower moving fish or fish with flowing fins. Their aggression worsens when they are kept in smaller numbers and it's usually recommended that they be kept in a shoal of 6+.

Also, there are probably more than enough fish in there already, to be honest, given the types of fish you have.

My suggestion (and it's only that) would be to rehome either the barbs or the gouramis.

Regards - Athena

ps - I forgot to add that some rocks or pebbles might look good in there, too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back