Tank cycling.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Yes it is possible that you miss the nitrite spike.

Ok guys, what the heck is going on here? My ammonia is back down to less than 1.0 ppm still have never got any reading on nitrite but I do have a minor reading on nitrate maybe 2-3 ppm. On the 8th I added Ammonia tested on the 9 th it was 3.0, with crazy schedule it was today the 12th that I tested since the 9th, could I have missed a nitrite spike? This is my first time ever cycling a tank I have no idea what to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Justsmarti:

Yes, you could have missed a rapid nitrite spike or, for whatever reason, your nitrite-eating bacteria got themselves up and running right away. Every cycle is different.

I would keep adding ammonia to get the reading up to about 2ppm and then see how quickly it drops. Keep testing for nitrite and nitrate, too. When the ammonia zeros out right away, if the nitrites stay at zero and you get a steady increase in nitrates, then you've got yourself a cycle!

Hi Justsmarti:

Yes, you could have missed a rapid nitrite spike or, for whatever reason, your nitrite-eating bacteria got themselves up and running right away. Every cycle is different.

I would keep adding ammonia to get the reading up to about 2ppm and then see how quickly it drops. Keep testing for nitrite and nitrate, too. When the ammonia zeros out right away, if the nitrites stay at zero and you get a steady increase in nitrates, then you've got yourself a cycle!

Thanks Doc, ill keep testing and will let you know how it's going! I appreciate the feed back!

Thanks Doc, ill keep testing and will let you know how it's going! I appreciate the feed back!

e8ba8c3005fa5c894d16dc2a23c9fd90.jpg

This is the tank. Any suggestions on maybe plants or other decor? It's a 30 gal.

Just speculating but ammonia is consumed by bacteria, and then a different bacteria consumes the nitrite, leaving nitrate. However there are nitrate consuming bacteria but they require an oxygen free environment. Typically aquariums are not oxygen free. Do you have any water circulation or air stone in the tank? If not try that and redone the tank to 3ppm ammonia. If it was nitrate consuming bacteria the circulation or air stone and ammonia might prevent nitrate consumption.

Just speculating but ammonia is consumed by bacteria, and then a different bacteria consumes the nitrite, leaving nitrate. However there are nitrate consuming bacteria but they require an oxygen free environment. Typically aquariums are not oxygen free. Do you have any water circulation or air stone in the tank? If not try that and redone the tank to 3ppm ammonia. If it was nitrate consuming bacteria the circulation or air stone and ammonia might prevent nitrate consumption.

I have good water movement. I do jot have an air stone but the pump that I have has a diffuser tube and I have it turned toward the surface so it's making a nice wave and with that there's constant turbulence and lots of air bubbles so I'm thinking there's good oxygen in the water.

Nitrite is the only thing I have never got a reading on. Every test it's been 0!

I have good water movement. I do jot have an air stone but the pump that I have has a diffuser tube and I have it turned toward the surface so it's making a nice wave and with that there's constant turbulence and lots of air bubbles so I'm thinking there's good oxygen in the water.

Nitrite is the only thing I have never got a reading on. Every test it's been 0!

a2ea7e2c357d63bc3a45bd9613adc692.jpg
thos is at 32 day mark. Have never had a nitrite reading. Any suggestions anybody?

a2ea7e2c357d63bc3a45bd9613adc692.jpg
thos is at 32 day mark. Have never had a nitrite reading. Any suggestions anybody?

Praise the Lord alleluia! I have nitrite! Finally got my first nitrite reading after 34 days of testing maybe I will be successful at cycling my first tank after all! Thanks for all that gave input! I read a lot of post on here daily and the knowledge here is outstanding! Thanks again I'm excited!

Justin

Hey everyone, hope all is well. The tank is finally cycled and we have a couple fish in it now after a wc. A small goldfish my 6 yr old daughter fell in love with, that we were going to use with fish in cycling. It has lived in 2.5 gallon tank with a green eared sunfish that my sun caught with his hands in our pond overflow year and a half ago. It was the size of a pencil eraser and is now about 3" long. I didn't think I would have live plants but now have decided I would like to try some easy ones. My ? Is can I add substrate now? I have probably about 1&1/2" of gravel on bottom now. Was wondering how to go about it?
Also I'm suppose to get a gh and kh test kit tomorrow once I know those parameters I'll be asking advice on a few more inhabitants for this tank.
My wife wants color. And we had originally thought a cichlids tank but after all I've read I'm sure the tank is to small for them.

:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back