Tank Cleaning Routine ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cocoa007

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 30 L cube tank with 4 guppies in it. One hang at back filter, fine gravel and one pvc pipe. No plant yet. I do a 10-15 % water change every 5  days.  Do I need to clean the tank or anything in it ? If yes then what do I need to clean and how ?

You'll want to vacuum the gravel when you do your water changes.

If the glass gets algae on it you can scrub it off.

Once a month you can gently rinse the filter media in old tank water.

Thanks Nin. I usually siphon the water near gravel when doing partial water change. But siphoned off water is mostly clean so I don't know if its cleaning anything from gravel or not.

you should do a deep gravel cleaning---this video shows you how to properly clean the gravel   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ukKx2X4zU

Hey Thanks so much for this video. I do not have that vaccum cleaner but would have to buy that one.. really good.

I suggest you wipe the glass every week when you do your water change, it prevents algae build up which is better than having to deal with it after it's there :) Also bigger is better when it comes to water changes, since you're at it you may as well do 30% or more.

What do you wipe the glass with ? I would be worried dipping some cleaning sponge in tank unless its disposable. I mean is it safe to keep a separate sponge that is used every week or month or will it spread bacteria/fungi ?

I will raise the water change %age.
smile.png
thank you.

Na it's fine, I use one of those sponges with a scrubby green side to wipe my glass with. You squeeze it out when you're done and it dries out on it's own, it's only tank water :p

Most reactions

Back