Tank broke so having to do fish in cycle!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

keastclan

Reaction score
I had a frugal 180 litre which decided to haemorrhage water from the bottom on Saturday night. Because of Easter Sunday the fish had to spend until Monday afternoon in a bucket. Not ideal.....
I now have a new 180 litre jewel. I've put evolution aqua pure aquarium balls in (20 of them) got aquarium water from my legs. Fish are in (they are happier than in a bucket).
The question is, I've never done a fish in cycle.... what do i do?

There is a slight cloudyness to the water (bacteria I presume). My readings were all 0. Apart from CO2 which was high. I've put a wave maker in pointing at the surface.

Live plants will do a lot, especially fast growers (floating work very well). Using a bacterial supplement like Tetra's SafeStart. Then, daily monitoring of ammonia and nitrite...do a 50-60% water change if either is above zero. Use a conditioner that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite if you can...I know of two that do this, Seachem's Prime and another called Ultimate (I think it is Aquarium Solutions, not sure). These detoxify for 24-36 hours, then another water change if above zero. Ammonia and nitrite will still test as such with Prime, so don't worry; but as Prime is not permanent, after 24-36 hours do another WC if ammonia or nitrite show up.

If the media and substrate from the former tank were saved, and not allowed to dry out, use them (whichever), as the bacteria will still be present.

if your old tank broke you wouldn't have to do a fish in cycle, or a cycle at all. mini cycle if that. Get your old filter media and put it in your new one.
To answer the main question though you don't do anything Other than what the above comment stated

Thank you. I am just not used to doing a fish in cycle, and them being in the bucket probably didn't help their chances. I fully expect to lose some through shock alone.
Unfortunately I didn't save the media. I left it in the filter, but as it was sat a couple of days before the shops opened and I got a new tank when I opened the filter it stank (not in a normal way) I did hang some ceramic media in tights in the tank for a couple of hours but then second guessed myself and took it out.
I'm hoping these bacterial gel balls will help.

I see, not much you can do backup wise then. I do recommend for the future; to not do fish in cycles, I know you HAD to on this one and I completely get it (because no other choice), but just saying for the future don't do them, as doing fish in cycles, is like throwing someone in a fire. But in this case I understand

I would never have normally done a fish in cycle. 180 litres of water gushing to the floor, there was just panic. I hate the thought of a fish in cycle. It goes against everything I have learnt.
I would never recommend anyone does a fish in. It's like rolling a dice to decide which lives or dies. I don't want any of them to

I do however wish you luck on your re setup journey keastclan :) you sound like a very responsible fish and aquarium owner.
Best Of Luck
Nate

if your old tank broke you wouldn't have to do a fish in cycle, or a cycle at all. mini cycle if that. Get your old filter media and put it in your new one.
To answer the main question though you don't do anything Other than what the above comment stated
:|

Do you have anyone close to you that also has an aquarium? You can swap some of your new filter material with some of theirs (if it's an established tank). No more than 25% of their established media, but it will give you a hefty kick-start to your cycle.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back