Tank and filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Southern Fist

Reaction score
Hi,

is it possible to use a canister filter with a drilled tank? i'm getting conflicting answers from my two LFS's. One says canister is fine, other says that i would need one of those filters usually used for saltwater tanks.

thanks
Ridley

What exactly do you mean by drilled tank.

Although you can use any filter provided it is the correct size.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Thanks Sean, I mean there are two holes drilled into the bottom corner for an 2 pvc pipes - one for water going into the filter and one for water going back into the tanks. i'm specifically looking at the 90 gallon cube tank by marineland.

Okay that makes sense. Just as long as you plug the two holes properly I don't see why it would be a problem

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

ok, thanks. one guy said that there could be some issue with the water flow and recommended using a canister filter on the outside.

thanks!

Clearly the tank was designed to use a sump which is typically used for SW but can be used for FW too. As mentioned, if the holes are plugged, a canister filter can be used just fine.

Yes you can if you are handy enough. I once plumbed a 800 LPH canister filter to a 5 gallon Betta cube and used a ball valve on the outlet hose to control the flow.
687474703a2f2f6935392e74696e797069632e636f6d2f66636e7278632e6a7067

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back