April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RyanTheFishGuy64

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

So this is my first post so ill tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Ryan, im 13 and I am an aquarium enthusiast! 
A couple of years ago I had a 30g livebearer tank and it went downhill from my lack of knowledge on cycling and just immature keeping in general. So I now have a 10g in my bedroom with 2 platies and 2 mollies and I am loving it so far! 

I found an old aerator from my last tank and decided to try it out. The aerator itself makes quite a loud buzzing noise. Also, they were kind of scared when I put it in. After a little bit I turned it off and the fish stopped making laps around the aquarium and kind of chilled
tongue2.gif
 . I know it helps with oxygen flow which I would like to have considering I dont have live plants keeping a natural flow. So here are the options I have thought of.

1. Keep it on 24/7....they'll get over it
  2. turn it on when I wake up...turn off going to bed
  3. only have it on for a couple of hours in the evening
  4. put back in the drawer I found it...
Thanks for any responses! I really hope to get more advanced into the hobby in the future! 

Aerators are for water surface agitation as well as helping to circulate oxygen around the tank. Your livebearers are pretty hardy and would rather love a slightly steady water than a turbulent one. Plus the buzzing sound can only create vibrations that may stress them out. A good filtration system would be suffice than having an aerator in my experience :)

I would go with option 4 as TF says the filter should create enough surface agitation.
If they start gasping at the top this could be a sign that it needs to be increased (or that you have high nitrite levels).

Hope you enjoy the forum :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back