Synodontis Petricola Breeding

Lucky Bas....Petricola's are worth at least $80 for a juvi in Aus...and thats when they are imported which is rare!

thats about £40... which is what local shops over here have them up for...

I got 7 for £50 from a breeder :)

Russel,

I am new to this site and to Breeding Syno's but i have been breeding cichlids for years and thought i would share my method of artificial incubating with you and hope it can help you with your Petricola.

I use a plastic seive either in the tank or in a bucket of water with a heater in it and an air stone. I use it for my Frontosa Kitumbas (Zaire Purple) which are pretty rare in the UK and are very difficult to breed so when i get eggs they are like gold dust and using the Seive method i have nearly 100% hatch rate.

Using the seive allows poop (as you call it) to go through the small holes but not the eggs. Also when tumbling with air the eggs always come back down to the bottom because of the shape of the seive and do not end up around the edges and not getting water flow. I have some pictures on my website that show Frontosa fry 13 days old being incubated this way. Hope this helps you.

www.zaire-purple.co.uk

Hello to you all! And sorry my lousy english. :blush:

I found this quite old topic linked from the planetcatfish. I've got my 4 Synodontis lucipinna (lucipinnis) few weeks ago from other hobbyist. Now they have been spawning two times. Here in Finland we don't have many Syno-hobbyists and i have never heard that someone has breed these.

I have the flowerpot-system on my malawi-tank and this was a first time, when i managed to collect the eggs to the net. The most of eggs were dead and got fungus.

I managed to get few fry to the small tank, but i think they are now dead. At least no-one has been moving there. I have few stones and little bit vallisneria in the small tank. So maybe they can also be hiding.

Could you please help me, how i can manage to keep the eggs and fry alive?

Last week I had almost 10 frys in the small tank and during this week I think half of them has died. In a couple of days I have seen only 4 frys. Videos can be found here.

I really need some advices for how can I keep an eggs and frys alive.

Smithrc, any chance you could email me this article, can not see the images and am very interested in the air lift egg removal. thanks rob

Most reactions

trending

Back