Syd gets a new home!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

He sure looks happier. :)
Are you planning on adding any other tankmates?

Oh yes he's so happy now! Since he is in a 2.5 gallon tank without live plants I hesitate putting in a tank mate. I do want to eventually get him some live plants. I don't know how he'd accept a tank mate. He's a pretty funny little guy. :)

I agree with your opinion on tank mates, Phil.
2.5 gallons is really the absolute minimum required for a betta, with several sources recommending 5-10 gallons for better temperature and chemical stability.
In addition There is no reason to give him tank mates for his happiness, as Bettas are territorial fish that don't get "lonely"

Indeed, most Bettas can be said to tolerate tank mates at best, being less tolerant as tank size and cover provided by decor and plants decreases

He is doing amazingly well! I wouldn’t add anything else to that tank size except maybe a leaf hammock for him to rest on closer to the top of the water. Great job in getting him well!

Oh yes I am very happy he's feeling better! Sometimes all it takes is someone who cares. He was so happy when I finally transferred him to his larger home! He swam like crazy almost vibrating in excitement! He would do a lap and then swim really fast into his balanese lantern and come out the other side and do it again! Because his fins are still growing he can really swim fast not having so much baggage to carry. He's only little at about 1.5 inches if that.

I have his tank right next my work table so I call him my "co-dependent" buddy since he likes to watch whatever I am doing and we play games together. He likes to play follow the finger. His two adoptive big brothers Phil and Miles are happy just being by themselves exploring their tanks but little Syd really enjoys human interaction.

Right now his tank has no filter or heater. A heater isn't needed since the room all my Bettas are in is never less than 76f. In the winter my apartment is very warm which is fine for my fish. For now I will do regular water changes and clean his gravel and decorations every week. Right now he has a little floating Hornwort to play in. Next he gets a moss ball and leaf hammock. :)

I highly recommend a filter as the next item on the to do list for syd, preferably a low powered one to avoid generating too much current

While he would also appreciate the planned decor additions, a filter of some kind is the absolute best thing to add for the sake of his health.
Wishing your Bettas the best of health now and in the future. :)

Hi

Cool once he settles he will love it but first That tank needs more plants, Live or silk.

Those Betta hammock's are not natural, Rather than that get some Anubias and use a suction cup to attach it to the glass near the surface but under floating plants.

This is a natural way for a Betta to sleep. Image is of my fish.
243p6ip.jpg

I have no idea what this is. Well I do but cant say it here.
maxresdefault.jpg

I highly recommend a filter as the next item on the to do list for syd, preferably a low powered one to avoid generating too much current

While he would also appreciate the planned decor additions, a filter of some kind is the absolute best thing to add for the sake of his health.
Wishing your Bettas the best of health now and in the future. :)

Thank you for the suggestion and kind words. :)

I do have a pump and a small diy filter I made out of a small glass bottle, a sponge, ceramic media and a piece of plastic tubing. I also have a gang valve to control the air flow. It's already to go. I use two similar filter systems in my other tanks and my Bettas have no problem with them. With my other two tanks I run both filters off one pump using a double gang valve. I just wanted the little guy to get used to his new environment for a few days before setting it up in his tank. When I do his next gravel clean I will set it up.

He has been in his new tank three days now and I notice he's getting territorial. He patrols his space like a little boss. If he sees me looking at him he'll stop for a second to say "hi" and carry on. Today after I fed him a few frozen bloodworms he flared his gills really big for the first time at my index finger and did the attack dance! He really has all his energy back and more. I don't know if he cares or even knows that I am the one who saved his life but he's a special little fish. :)

Hi

Cool once he settles he will love it but first That tank needs more plants, Live or silk.

Those Betta hammock's are not natural, Rather than that get some Anubias and use a suction cup to attach it to the glass near the surface but under floating plants.

This is a natural way for a Betta to sleep. Image is of my fish.
243p6ip.jpg

I have no idea what this is. Well I do but cant say it here.
maxresdefault.jpg
That is not how bettas sleep on the hammocks. They lay down. Mine loves his. He sleeps on his plants too. Bettas in tanks aren’t natural either. We try to make their little worlds a little better. Think about it.

Bettas in tanks aren’t natural either.
As far as fish go, Bettas are one fish that is suitable for captivity due to the fact they often inhabit small bodies of stagnant water. Many species of Killifish are also suited to aquariums for the same reason. An aquarium is a small body of water and if filtered and well planted, is more than equal to their wild habitat, which regularly dries out and the fish either die in the drying mud or get eaten by birds.

In an aquarium they have no predators, don't have to fight for territory, have a regular food source, and a constant water level.

Finally, the common Bettas (Siamese fighting fish) sold in shops aren't natural anyway. They are a hybrid between Betta splendens and Betta imbellis and don't naturally occur with long fins. :)

As far as fish go, Bettas are one fish that is suitable for captivity due to the fact they often inhabit small bodies of stagnant water. Many species of Killifish are also suited to aquariums for the same reason. An aquarium is a small body of water and if filtered and well planted, is more than equal to their wild habitat, which regularly dries out and the fish either die in the drying mud or get eaten by birds.

In an aquarium they have no predators, don't have to fight for territory, have a regular food source, and a constant water level.

Finally, the common Bettas (Siamese fighting fish) sold in shops aren't natural anyway. They are a hybrid between Betta splendens and Betta imbellis and don't naturally occur with long fins. :)

Yes thanks for this post. Indeed the fancy Betta you buy in the store has never experienced the "wild". Putting one a larger tank with, clean water, gravel, plants and regular feedings is obviously going to extend their lives.

Yes I know he needs more plants. I will try real ones. I just discovered a cool locally owned pet store that is close by. They carry quite a bit of aquarium fish and accessories. I was only in there for a minute and forgot to ask if they sold aquatic plants. I did notice they sell liquid fertilizer like Flourish by Seachem and root tabs.

As for the Betta hammock. My Delta tail Betta Miles has one I made for him out a silk leaf and spare suction cup. I placed it closer to the surface and he enjoys lounging on it quite often. :)

there is a product called the betta leaf hammock sold at every petsmart, some LFS, and i think in every petco too.

Most reactions

trending

Back