Swordtail sitting on bottom of tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

uliabear

Reaction score
Alright, so i recently got two new fish for my 20 gallon tank. 1 cory(i plan on getting more since i know they like to be together) and 1 lyre tail swordtail which i also planned on getting more. Ever since getting the sword tail he has been sitting on the bottom of the tank rarely moving, heā€™s very pretty and iā€™m worried about him. He seems to be hiding and i never see him out and about. He also hasnā€™t eaten since iā€™ve gotten him. These two fish are the only ones in the tank since recently(in my last thread) my angelfish ended up passing away from basically suicide:( If anyone knows what the problem could be, id really appreciate some feedback.

Also, iā€™m not able to check water parameters because i donā€™t have a testing kit and havenā€™t had time to bring in water to get tested. But the last time i checked the water was good. The cory seems perfectly fine but i know that doesnā€™t automatically mean that the parameters are fine.

Any chance of a picture and short 20 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

----------------------------
If you have an issue with a tank and have previously had a thread about the same tank, it's a good idea to continue using the original thread or copy & paste the link to it here so we can go and check it and see what has happened.

Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality and a dirty tank. The first thing to do when you have sick fish is test the water and do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the substrate. If you don't have test kits, just do a big water change.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

Any chance of a picture and short 20 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

If you have an issue with a tank and have previously had a thread about the same tank, it's a good idea to continue using the original thread or copy & paste the link to it here so we can go and check it and see what has happened.

Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality and a dirty tank. The first thing to do when you have sick fish is test the water and do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the substrate. If you don't have test kits, just do a big water change.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/
thanks so much for replying! sadly soon after posting, the swordtail passed away, i did however go to the fish store and noticed the tank i got him from was being treated for disease:( a lot of their tanks are going through some sort of containment for disease so i wonā€™t be buying from there for a little while...thanks again!

thanks so much for replying! sadly soon after posting, the swordtail passed away, i did however go to the fish store and noticed the tank i got him from was being treated for disease:( a lot of their tanks are going through some sort of containment for disease so i wonā€™t be buying from there for a little while...thanks again!
Sorry for your loss :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back