Swordtail sex, easy, right?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Vorpal

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My son got a fish tank for Christmas. It has been populated with plants, snails, 7 cories and 3 swordtails for a couple of months, now and the fish all seem happy.

Here's the part about the sex of the swordtails... We bought what I thought were two females and one male. I honestly thought that the largest of the two females was pregnant when we got her. She had that look. Then, a couple of weeks later, she didn't have that look any more, and I assumed that there had been some fry that hadn't survived.

Just recently, though 'she' has started growing a swordtail. Which makes me think that we have two males and one female. That fish is half again bigger than the others (another reason to assume it was female), and the LFS said that they were all the same kind of swordtail. So I'm a little confused. Did this fish just mature late? Why did it look pregnant when we brought it home?

On a happier note, we do have some fry. I posted another thread about tank cleaning http://www.fishforums.net/threads/water-changes-in-a-tank-with-fry-in-it.444796/

Thanks! I looked around and didn't see that. I don't seem to be able to use the search function on here very effectively. I either get hundreds of hits, or nothing o_O

The male anal fin is needle like while the female anal fin is triangular like. Hope this helped

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back