Swollen With Raised Scales?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Plecc

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

I am having a problem with one of my platy, she has swollen to double her size and resembles the shape of a brick rather tank a ball, she also has slightly raised scales all over her body and has no energy.

She has swelled up like this before, but it was during a time they were all pregnant, but this quickly went away, although i have never seen the raised scales before.

This has been getting worse over the last 5 days, at first i thought it was just constipation and so reduced feeding to see what happens.

Nothing, she just kept getting larger, i have just noticed the raised scales this morning.

Any idea what the problem may be? i have no idea how to treat her.

I have:

140L planted community tank running a fluval 305 with sand substrate.

Water:
PH - 7.5
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 20
Nitrite - 0

Fish:
6x neon tetra
1x gold gourami
1x 3 spot gourami
4x platy
3x zebra loach
2x bristlenose pleco

I have treatments for internal bacteria, finrot and white spot but none mention raised scales as a symptom.

What can i do?

Plecc.

It sounds like dropsy to me, but I can't help with treatment, somone more experienced would be able to help you there. I hope your fish gets better, good luck!

It sounds like dropsey, the fish have a pine cone effect, and its usually a sign of poor water quality, although by your post i cant see that one. Dropsy is an internal infection usually caused by water pressure inside the fish and treating it is almost impossible, due to the damage done to internal organs most fish do not recover properly and will fall ill again. I think i would put the fish out of its misery and be more concerned how it got infected if you keep you tank this good all the time, could it be to a previous owner or used for cycling the tank? di

All you can do really is issolate and use the internal bacteria med.
Add some epson salts to her isslation tank. it help's draw the fluids out.

Once the scales raise last stage of dropsy, organ failure. Fish rarely survive this.

Thanks for the quick replies,

I do my best to keep the tank in good shape, weekly cleaning and 30% water changes using tapsafe,(soon to be changed to prime) also regular testing using a liquid kit.
Just to keep an eye on things.

I have a feeling that my platy could have been infected at the fish shop, out of all my platy she is the only one that has ever shown these symptoms.
Now thinking back over the last 6 months she has probably swollen up and recovered at least 3 times, she wasn't pregnant and i am fairly sure it was to extreme to be constipation, which was my first diagnosis.

Is it possible that my platy has been infected the whole time?

I can't really isolate here, i don't have enough kit to do the job properly.
I have a bottle of Interpet No9 anti internal bacteria, is this suitable to treat the whole tank?
(is it not better to treat the whole tank just to be sure none of my other fish have early stages of the infection?)

I don't have any salt at the moment, is it OK to treat without the salt?

You could treat the whole tank but i think that it will really mess your filter up. I did this when treating columnaris with Ektol Fluid before xmas...

Just want to check on something.

What does it look like when all your fish go to the toilet.
Any fish gone thin aswell as the bloating.
Any of the fish anus look enlarged or red and inflamed.
Lost any fish to bent spines.
Do any fish have sunken in belly.
Do any fish swim on there sides.

Anti internal bacteria med by interpet might knock water stats, but it shouldn't wipe the benefical bacteria out completely. As there no antibiotics in the med.

Furanol by jbl will wipe the beneifcal bacteria out in the filter.

You could treat the whole tank but i think that it will really mess your filter up. I did this when treating columnaris with Ektol Fluid before xmas...

What problems did you have with your filter?

Just want to check on something.

What does it look like when all your fish go to the toilet.
Any fish gone thin aswell as the bloating.
Any of the fish anus look enlarged or red and inflamed.
Lost any fish to bent spines.
Do any fish have sunken in belly.
Do any fish swim on there sides.

Anti internal bacteria med by interpet might knock water stats, but it shouldn't wipe the benefical bacteria out completely. As there no antibiotics in the med.

Furanol by jbl will wipe the beneifcal bacteria out in the filter.

Occasionally white stringy poo, but not often.
None are going thin.
None have an inflamed or enlarged anus.
One of my tetra has a bent spine, but he has been like this for a very long time.
No sunken belly's.
None of the fish swim or behave strangely, but i do see occasional darting from my two gourami.

How would you expect the Interpet treatment to effect my water stats?

Oh, sry forgot to ask,

How is this disease transmitted between fish?

Should i put my ill platy into a large breeding trap, to reduce contact with the other fish?

How old is the fish with the bent spine.
Bent spine can be old age, injury, vitamin deficiency, fish tb, internal parasites, birth defect.

Dropsy can also be caused by internal parasites, and fish tb.

How old is the fish with the bent spine.
Bent spine can be old age, injury, vitamin deficiency, fish tb, internal parasites, birth defect.

Dropsy can also be caused by internal parasites, and fish tb.

I got my tetra about 9 months ago, a month or two after i got him he developed a kink about half way down his spine off to one side, he also has a tiny pimple on one side which developed shortly after.
But i have seen no change in his condition for at least 6 months, he behaves normally.

Ok. That's fine.

I think I would maybe think about worming your fish internally as just a precaution.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back