Swollen Mouth? :(

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jasminekiddell

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My betta doesnt seem well atall. Only since today, his mouth appears to be swollen and have a slight white colouration to it, now when i shout him he doesnt come to the top and when i gave him food before he egnored it. Also hes moping around the tank just sat there not moving much, he just attempted to eat a pellet and he couldnt get it in his mouth so now hes sitting there with it on his mouth just not eating it! ;(
Any ideas on what i can do or what it is?
Pictures arent available as the camera lead is lost! :(
Its been 15minutes since he attempted to eat the pellet, its still on his mouth!
Ok, hes gotten worse i thought he had passed away a minute ago he was completely still. He just sits their with her mouth pointed up, im so worried i could loose him tonight! Im crying now, i love him alot! Please help, anyone.

Oh no. His gills have got little spots of colour on them, like browny colour!
I'm so worried!

If the pellet is stuck - the only thing you can do is try to remove it -- get him out on a damp tea towel and ease the pellet out with your fingers --- they are fine out of water for a few minutes to do this

if its not stuck - it sounds like an infection - dont feed him tomorrow it wont hurt AND as soon as you have some myaxzin do a water change and then add some

Have you got any aquarium salt - if so do a water change - lower the water level to 2-3" and add the salt

Hi I'm really sorry to hear this Jasmine, what temp is his tank set at the moment? has there been any changes to the tank recently? when was the water last changed? I really hope he gets better :sad:

Tank temp is 79, i last did a water change i think it was about 4 days ago? I dechlorinated the water. no changes to food its all the usual.
Thanks for these replies btw!

pipoodle, I can go to the lfs tomorrow maybe and the pellets gone now i slowly removed it.
Hes not his usualy self hes just sat their, i have a picture of his behaviour,
1011685.jpg
sorry its upside down kind of, but hes just doing that.

What can i do in the meantime? I might be able to get to pets at home tomorrow and buy the stuff. But in the meantime what can i do? But him in another tank?

This happened to my old betta, he had his mouth open and was "floating" he sadly died a few hours later : not saying that it will happen to yours.
if you could cover his tank with a dark cloth to reduce stress <- i read that on another post. Hope it helps!

Right I've covered the tank with a dressing gown and turned my bedroom light off. thanks.

Hey hon, leave him to rest for now, there isnt anything you can do for him tonight, have you tested your water parameters incase od nasties in the water? If you can Myaxzin (spelling!) is fantastic stuff much better than Melafix and may help him through this, if you can get some tomorrow I would hon. I swear by the stuff now since it helped Rude through his lip thing. Keep us posted, if you can and it doesnt stress him too much get a closer pic for us to look at.

I'm not sure he's gonna make it tonight :(
Heres the best pic i can get...
1011694.jpg
If you look very closely to his lips there a bit swollen and have a white ring around them,
Any idea on the price of myaxzin?

you could lower the water level so if he's tired and a bit weak he doesnt have to go so far to reach the surface

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back