Switching to Play Sand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Paprikakitty

Reaction score
So after reading LOTS of posts it looks like I should switch from aquarium gravel to sand to protect my pandasā€™ barbels.

We have lots of new play sand that we have NOT used in our sandbox yet. How should I prep it for my tank? Just wash it with tap water? Or should I throw it in some aquarium water the next time I do a change to get a little friendly bacteria going? Or just do partial substrate changes until all the gravel is out?

My tank water is right where it needs to be right now (pH, nitrites/trates, etc.) and I donā€™t want to shock it by taking all of the ā€˜seasonedā€™ substrate out. I am not using a bio filter or anything like that that would replace the bacteria. I do have the filter running through partially-aquatic plants in one of those eco-tanks though... that might help?

EDITED: changed ā€œhave usedā€ to ā€œhave NOT usedā€ in the second paragraph.

Play Sand still in the bag, i.e., that has not been used outside, can simply be rinsed in tap water. I do this with a smallish amount of sand in a 2-3 gallon bucket. Several rinses are needed, but you do not need to have the water clear, it is after all just dirt which will not harm fish and it will settle out. I tend to rinse maybe 5 or 6 cups at a time, and about 5 or 6 rinses.

It is much better to change the entire substrate at one go, and remove the fish to a temporary tank/tub. Substrates will easily mix and this will make it a real mess.

Losing the existing substrate will certainly lose a lot of bacteria. If you have live plants, and fast growers like floating especially, this helps. I would also suggest a bacterial supplement, like Tetra's SafeStart or Seachem's Stability. [I am assuming you have no filter on this tank, from your post.]

[I am assuming you have no filter on this tank, from your post.]

Correct, just a small submersible pump that sends the water through the plants and back into the tank. I do have SafeStart though so Iā€™ll use that! Thank you so much for your input!

Most reactions

trending

Back