Swim bladder won't leave, spreading to my other fish...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

null-lofi

Reaction score
So I know this a very frequent question but I've never been able to fully fix my goldfish that had/has swimbladder and I'm at a loss of what to do.

I've been keeping goldfish for about 3 years now and have been familiar and dealing with these sick fish for about half of that time. I currently have an oranda, fail tail calico, a ryukin, and a black Moor all in a 55-gallon tank. The oranda who I've had for 2 years now developed swimbladder 2 months ago when I moved her from a temporary tank to the 55. She had been staying with me in my dorm along with the fantail until my parents had moved into a new house so I had to drive with them for 20 minutes in plastic bags. I didn't think it would have been a problem since they had successfully survived a 3-hour road trip when I moved to college. Low and behold though, after the move to the new house and tank I'm guessing Slushie (oranda) injested too much air and was floating upside down. From then on I put both fish on a skinned pea diet for a week then give up since it wasn't working. Around this time a bought the ryukin and moor then shortly after I moved Slushie to her own tank after a month of her floating. She stayed on the pea diet for another 2 weeks in her tank and they looked fine so I moved her to the 55 with her friends. 1 DAY later though Slushie's backside is starting to float upwards (not near as bad as before but she still flips sometimes) and the ryukin is completely upside-down..the other 2 fish are fine.

I'm not sure what to do now, I've only got I spare tank and its way too small even one of them for extended periods of time.
I wasn't even aware that the disease could spread and apparently I didn't fix it right the first time. Are there more treatment options?? I've heard of Epson salt but the amount per gallon changes drastically depending on the website I go to. I've also wanted to raise the temp of the water but I don't know how to do that evenly or safely.

Please respond if you can, I'm extremely worried for them and had a fish who died in the past due to swimbladder (however it was due to compact body shape), I really don't want to lose my babies because I'm ignorant. What am I doing wrong? What's worked for you guys in the past?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you can post a short 20 second video of the fish having trouble swimming, it can give us more to go on. Swim bladder issues in fish are not that common and they don't normally spread from fish to fish.

----------------------
What do you normally feed the fish?

Most fantail goldfish have a short body and their intestines get squished up along with their other organs. If you feed dry food or floating food, the fish get air inside their body and it has to work its way through the squished up intestine before being farted out. Once the fish has expelled all the gas they usually stop floating about.

Stop feeding dry food for a couple of weeks and try feeding the fish on frozen (but defrosted) or live foods like prawn, fish, daphnia, brineshrimp and mozzie larvae. Goldfish also need plant matter in their diet and Duckweed (floating plant) is a good choice, but any soft leaf aquatic plants like Ambulia will also be eaten.

----------------------
You can also try doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate each day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank. And clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back