Swim Bladder And Eating Bubbles?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Shadowfoxx1331

Reaction score
I am new to fish, I got a goldfish tonight that seemed to be swimming alright at the store(I watch all the fish I get for like 20 minutes to watch for aggression and abnormal swimming) and I got it home and when it stops swimming(seemingly to rest or just float around) it slowly rises with its nose down and tail slightly raised. Seems to have to work to get to the bottom of the tank if it stops swimming and starts floating. No other fish in the tank he was in at the store had a problem. I also noticed that it (when it goes to the top of the tank) it will eat bubbles or just suck in the air/water. Seen some people say they do eat bubbles and others say it is naturally through their gills from the water they get oxygen which makes sense. I am not sure if he has swim bladder problems or not it seems like it, I am going to go to the store tomorrow to ask some of our petcare managers and employees what they thing, weve got some pretty experienced people. But I am worried about it right now and cannot seem to sleep. Also going to get peas tomorrow to start feeding. I have also heard that flakes are bad for goldfish? I have two african dwarf frogs in the tank as well and I do have dried brine shrimp for them. I have also read to not feed the fish with the problem for a few days. Can anyone help?

I'd fast him for a few days and see how that goes.  You can buy pellets/granules for goldfish, give them a good 5 or so minutes to soak in a bit of tank water before adding to the tank... that will encourage them to sink and your fish won't come up to the surface and take in air when feeding.

Oh, also I had great luck feeding a platy daphnia for a couple days (never could get a fish to eat peas) and that did great to clear a swim bladder issue.  I made that a weekly habit with that fish from then on to feed it only daphnia once a week and the problem didn't reoccur.

I just thought I'd come back to clarify since it occurred to me I might be misunderstood.  When I said only daphnia once a week... I meant one DAY a week I fed only daphnia.... not that this was the only meal each week.  D'Oh! for my incomprehensible style sometimes!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back