Swapping Gravel To Sand?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish mad

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I want to change my gravel to sand and obvously have to empty the tank to do so the thing is do i need to put the same water back in so i dont go through a cycle or can i put a bag of the old gravel in the tank and put all new water in? Any advice will be helpful thankx.

I would treat it like a water change and save about half the water and go from there. I may be wrong though. Maybe someone else has a better way. Just make sure you clean your sand first. Put it in a bucket under running water water and swirl until the water is clear.

You can save water if you want. But since the impotant thing to cycle is the filter there realy is no reason to keep the water except to keep some water parameters. You could change all the water and it wouldnt be a problem the bacteria is in the filter media and some in the gravel....but the filter is the most important.

You can save water if you want. But since the impotant thing to cycle is the filter there realy is no reason to keep the water except to keep some water parameters. You could change all the water and it wouldnt be a problem the bacteria is in the filter media and some in the gravel....but the filter is the most important.
thanx for your help

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back