Swapping Gravel For Sand?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

matty2k

Reaction score
Does anyone know which way is the easiest for taking out gravel in my 240 rio tank and swap it for sand with out disrupting my fish?

When i made the change, i removed the fish, and made sure the sand was crystal clean before putting it in the tank to keep the cloudiness down as much as possible, used as much of the same water as possible ect.

I net out gravel with a fish net, then as above (but without removing fish).

I Cleaned the sand first, then removed the fish and saved as much as the tank water as I could, then dumped the rest of the water.

Then once that was all done I removed the gravel and gave the tank a real good clean with tap water, then emptied the dirty water.

Then I put my sand in and levelled it off and placed a plate on the sand while starting to fill the tank (with the water I saved) letting the water go on the plate first so it dont disturb the sand too much. then filled the rest of the tank with warm tap water to make it as close to my tanks normal temp. then added the fish. job done

I've also made the transition from gravel to sand without removing the fish. Don't worry they will get themselves out of the way of any potential danger.

I used a mug to scoop up the gravel and just left a very thin layer in certain places, so I could have it a bit deeper in parts.

James.

Only problem with removing all the water is 240 tank takes a while :lol:

there no real easy way to
do it really vacuum
the gravel first remove
fish remove gravel replace
with well washed sand
top up wait to settle #
put the whole thing back together

Most reactions

trending

Staff online