Survival Rate for Guppy Fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

coolfishfan

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Under my care only 4 out of 10 guppy fry complete their full life cycle.
The rest 6 is the total count of fry that don't survive more than 4 months.
On an average 2 guppy fry die every month.
Is this normal or the survival should be better ?

If taken proper care, how many guppies out of 10 should reach their adulthood ?

All depends what other fish you have in the tank with the fry.. also the adult guppy will eat the fry as well.. to get the best survival rate of fry is plenty of hiding places.. plenty of fake or real plants.. JAVA MOSS is brill for breeding but keep on top of the java moss as it can grow out of hand.. hope this helps

For live bearers, I feel that all but a few should easily make it to adult hood if they have their own tank and are taken care of properly. Out of 22 sword tail fry, 21 made it to maturity for me. With such a small number of fry, all 10 should of lived if there was nothing physically wrong with them (genetic deformities).

I think the problems most people have when raising fry is the feeding schedule and what foods the fry are receiving. Of course water changes and filtration are important too, but if the fry aren't eating they won't live. Live foods like micro worms and baby brine shrimp are awesome first foods for young fry. No healthy fish can resist going after something that's moving. Feeding at least twice a day (I say 3-4) is important for growing fry.

Sponge filters are the safest form of filtration for fry, and keeping the tank at a proper temp is also important. Bi-weekly water changes help speed growth and keep the fry healthy. A larger tank also helps. for 10 fry, a 10 gallon would be just fine as a grow out tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back