Super Pico Was Small

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gill

Store Manager Coalville Aquatics
Reaction score
Could not be bothered to edit the text from UKAPS, so here it is.

Name: Gill

Tank Dimensions (Height/Width/Depth): 10 - 6 - 6 - Novelty Light Bulb

Aquascape Name: Forgotten Lair

Hardscape/Materials used: Crushed Slate, Shattered Slate, Powdered Slate, Cotswold Bluff Chippngs, Potting Compost.

Plants: Terrestrial Moss - Grown Emersed in a Bucket for a few Months = Whatever has been growing in it.

Fertilisation: N/A

About the aquascape:
Ok so to say that this one was tideous is an understatment. I do not have steady hands and using Hammer and Chisel was a little precariuos to smash and shatter the slate (Left Over from past Tanks).
I had an idea to carve (Dremmel) more interesting shapes in the Bluff Chippings, but it did not look very good.
As I was shattering the Slate I remembered that the Slate from the Rainbow Crabs Tank(Previuos Owners) was very soft and could be crushed into a Very Very Fine Substrate, so that was the next job using a Hammer.
I decided that I was going to get a pot of HC from PAH but decided against that due to money restraints (So Skint), and Decided to try some of the Moss i have been growing in the Garden.

So with that out of the way here are some pix. There are a lot of them.

Photos:

Moss and Bluff
NOVCompBulb007.jpg

Carving Bluff
NOVCompBulb009.jpg

Soft Slate to be crushed into Substrate
NOVCompBulb011.jpg

NOVCompBulb015.jpg

End Result
NOVCompBulb017.jpg

Firstly Adding Some Sand and Pea Gravel as a Base
NOVCompBulb018.jpg

NOVCompBulb022.jpg

Added some of the Crushed Slate
NOVCompBulb023.jpg

On Top of the Sand Mix I added some Potting Compost and then some of the Bluff Chippings.
Onto this I placed a Clump of Moss and Started to Play Around with the Positioning of the Shards of Slate.
This was the worst bit as using tweezers to manouver in such an awkward space was time consuming and tediuos. Once I was happy with the placement I added smaller lumps of slate and stones or support. I basted in a little water to allow things to settle before carrying on any further.
NOVCompBulb025.jpg

I an Happy with the End Result, but may tinker with it a little.
I used lots of tiny flat peices of shattered slate to create lots of tiny caves and cave entrances within the scape. Which I hope is Visible.
For the final Shoot I will be using my Dad's new Sigma Macro Lens. Just need to learn how to use it, as it is Huge and Bulky.

NOVCompBulb028.jpg

NOVCompBulb030-1.jpg

NOVCompBulb031-1.jpg

NOVCompBulb036-1.jpg

NOVCompBulb041-1.jpg

NOVCompBulb044-1.jpg

NOVCompBulb046-1.jpg

NOVCompBulb050-1.jpg

i think thats the smallest aquascape i have ever seen
congrats!looks like something you would decorate the house with

looks good

Gill your mad m8 :D

What lighing are u gonna be using?
Also do have any Heterandria formosa left, 1 male would fill it ;)

Gill your mad m8 :D

What lighing are u gonna be using?
Also do have any Heterandria formosa left, 1 male would fill it ;)

Yep, I Sold 4 Tanks yesterday and all the fish and have already setup these 2.
Lighting is just a Desk Lamp ATM, but am tinkering with DIY Led's.
Sadly no HF left, they all died off with no cause. I have some Jap Blue fry that were dropped yesterday, but will stick some Daphnia in it.

Shame about the HF. That is small, Gill. :blink: Too small, I'll stick to my 2.5g. I can still keep fish in that one. :lol:

I have seen the feeder scapes, those are something. Again, too small for my taste, I like fish.

Shame about the HF. That is small, Gill.
blink.gif
Too small, I'll stick to my 2.5g. I can still keep fish in that one.
laugh.gif

I have seen the feeder scapes, those are something. Again, too small for my taste, I like fish.

Yeah it is tiny, but perfectly formed. I was going to give up on this a few times while trying to place the long peices of slate, it got that annoying.

Thats it has settled now so will take better pix today at some point.

Does this miniscape still exist? If so, how did the moss grow? Did you stick to your desklamp as lighting? Please give us an update.

Sadly the moss turned into a mushy mess and water turned milky white. I still have this and may be tempted to set this up again.

I Put all the Slate used in this and some other scapes away to use another day, but cannot remember where I put the stuff. Had made some really nice peices.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back