Sunsun Hw-302 "out Side" Filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BiggTexx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
SunSun HW-302 "Out Side" Filter

Summary

The SunSun HW-302 is a 3-stage (multistage) 1000 litre per hour (roughly 264 US gallons per hour) external canister filter (as rated by the manufacturer). Built like most other canister filters, the HW-302 contains 4 filter trays used to store your choice of filter media, and comes equipped with a spray bar. Overall dimensions come in at 232mm (9.25") x 232mm (9.25") x 395mm (15.5") and power rated at 18W.

How long have you owned this product?
  • 3 months
Ease of Use

I had originally purchased this filter to have on hand as a cheap backup/active filter for a Quarantine Tank. Meaning, I would run this filter on my display tank and move it to a QT when needed, or in the event of failure of another filter, could act as a temporary replacement while I worked on servicing/replacement. I scoured the internet for a while before deciding to give this filter a try.  For the plans I had, I decided this cheap alternative should be able handle such a medial task. Total price payed for this setup (+ additional filter media) came to $65 shipped to door.

After unboxing, the filter was able to be assembled and installed in just over an hour, with little to no help from the instructions. For example, included in the Filter Management section:

Remove and replace tae [sic] plug ire [sic] the socket 3-4 times [sic] Gently shake the filter to remove remaining air

The included green vinyl hoses were very reminisce of those included with an Eheim; however, they very flimsy and thin in comparison. The inlet and outlet connections, referred to as 'curvy bars', are very thin as well, making the overall curvy bar/hose connections an unexpectedly difficult task.  Each time I tried to slide the hose over the hose barbs, the curvy bars would start to bend and crimp.  With a little bit of patience, some Vaseline and a lot of extra time, I was able to setup the filter without any additional hassles.

Bought new, the HW-302 does not come with any filter media, besides a few thin pieces of biochemical cotton (filter floss).  Knowing this ahead of time, I purchased SunSun branded filter media to help keep the overall costs low. Unexpectedly, priming the filter actually proved to be the easiest part of the total assembly with the availability of the large priming button, which feels solid and is easy to articulate.

Pros
  • Large priming button
  • Similar in build to more expensive models
  • Extension tubes for intake (adjustable depth)
  • Size/Depth of filter baskets offer a larger footprint/surface area than most filters
  • Near silent operation
  • Overall Cost
Cons
  • Included parts (inlet/outlet 'curvy bars', hoses) are very cheap and flimsy
  • Included instructions are minimal and apparently lost in translation
  • Water pressure is surprisingly low. Estimated at 150 gallons per hour rather than the stated 264 gallons per hour
Rating 

For anyone who doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg on a high-end overpriced filter, I think SunSun has enough Pro's to get you up and running.  With a little ingenuity and spare time, the intake/outlet pieces can be easily replaced or upgraded with higher quality parts, making this a satisfactory purchase. 

Would recommend 
yes.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back