What's new

Sunburst Cichlid swimming upside down

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Katie Price

Reaction score
Hello all,
My sunburst Cichlid which I've had for about a year now started doing summersaults and now is swimming upside down and breathing heavy. All other fish in the tank seem normal. My water perameters are well within normal range
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
I currently have her in a smaller tank to keep her away from my other mean cichlids which started beating her up when she started acting strange.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to lose this fish!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Fish that have trouble swimming normally usually have a bacterial or protozoan infection in their brain that is caused by a dirty environment. Generally the best thing to do is a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. If you have a power filter, wash the materials in a bucket of tank water.

Then monitor the fish and see how it goes. If there is no improvement after a week, the fish should be euthanized.

You should also do the daily water changes and gravel cleans on the main tank to help prevent this from occurring to the other fishes in it. And then do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the main tank each week after that to help keep the environment clean.

Most reactions

trending

Back