Sun / Eclipse Catfish With Banded Leporinus And Oscar?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Doomchibi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been looking at Oscar fish for a while now and though I never really thought I would like them, they are starting to sound a lot more appealing the more I read. I have been thinking of setting up a tank for one and adding a couple other large fish to go with it that would be more or less around the same size and wouldn't kill eachother.

A lot of people seem to suggest Banded Leporinus to go with Oscar fish, and I agree that it does look perfect to go with one.

Now, I have also been eyeing Sun Catfish since I first noticed one at my LFS, and I talked myself out of it at first because they get to a pretty decent size, but then so do the other two fish I mentioned. It seems i'm not the only one who has wanted to keep these catfish with oscars before, but I can't find any mention of keeping them with Banded Leporinus as well. I know the catfish are mostly bottom dwellers, but would they fight with a Leporinus?

Also, do these catfish need to be kept in groups? I was planning on one but I heard in a few places that it's better to keep them in groups of 3 or more to prevent aggression, but then it seems more likely that the Leporinus would get picked on if anything. What do you think?

If those three (or 5, if I should get multiple catfish) would work together, what size tank do you think I should go with? I know the Oscar needs at least 75g to himself, and the banded at least that but preferrably another 100g, but i'm not sure about the Sun Catfish. I was thinking I should probably do another 50g at least if I got one, or 75g-100 as well if I needed the 3. 
So following that logic.. That would be about 225 gallons to aim for. Should I try to find something around that, or larger?

(One more thing- I swear!) Does anyone have a reasonable guess for what order these should be added in? They seem to all have pretty decent growth rates, if not a bit faster than I would have thought. I heard for the catfish you should not put one in a tank with an adult Oscar, and for the Leporinus I know they would likely go after an Oscar that was still young. At my LFS, these all sell at around 2" each. If these have around the same growth rate, should I get them together? 

Thanks!

I think what I will end up doing is 1x Oscar, 1x Jack Dempsey, 1x Banded Leporinus, 1-3x Sun Catfish and 6-8x Silver Dollars and i'll plan on 280 Gallons (36" wide) and see how that works out. If down the line it starts looking like they need more room, which they probably will, i'll upgrade and use the 280 for my Colombian Sharks which by then will need the room anyways. I never even considered adding a school of anything until I read that having a school in the tank would make the rest less anxious, but I definitely see the logic. I'm hoping the SD would be safe with adult catfish, I know the shape makes them more likely to be left alone and I was planning on a decent amount of hides so i'm thinking they should be fine if I let them grow before anything else.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back