Sump Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading to a larger tank and I am currently deciding between 2 tanks.
First time using a sump system so being very cautious as I don't want an accident, so doing my research and getting some opinions.

1st Tank: 300 Gallons, drilled on the sides, so looks pretty clean. However my concern, the sump he wants to sell it with, is only a 60 Gallon, he is keeping the larger 120 for it. Would a 60 Gallon be large enough for that tank, would water flow through it too fast, and would it be too risky in case a power outage occurred?
At this point, I don't want to be putting any more money into the tank, just cause I am moving in about 6 months and for that house, I want to build my dream tank, so this would be almost a temporary upgrade.

2nd Tank: 200 Gallons, overall looks nicer but smaller. My only concern is it has the external overflow box instead of the traditional internal overflow. I heard these have a higher chance of flooding if breakage occurs and aesthetically not as appealing.

In your opinions which would you go for?

Any advice as well, or a website you found very useful for first-timers.

Thanks

Attached 2 photos, first tank and second

9PisFt2.jpg

vAN5w1s.jpg

If you are moving in 6 months don't get either. Big tanks are a pita to move.

I agree with Colin_T on this one. I wouldn't setup anything bigger than 55 gallons if I was about to move in 6 months.
A 60 gallon sump is plenty for a large number of tanks. There is no set exact size you should use but you want it big enough to be effective and to fit your equipment. I used a 40 gallon breeder tank under my 90 gallon setup which worked great. Really it only fills to about 25-30 gallons though because of baffles and equipment. The sump is effectively there to do the following: 1-Increase total amount of water which increases stability in water parameters. 2-Allow you to run equipment such as a skimmer and or other probes/devices and ATO systems. 3-Offer a filtration system that is out of sight of the Display Tank. 4-House a pump that sends water back to the Display Tank.

If you are worried about power outages, let me ease your mind. The tanks will not overflow if done correctly. The water level is constant in the Display Tank (DT) and if the pumps are off can't go below the set height of the drain. If the power stops, the water stops flowing to the tank below because the pump in the Sump Tank (ST) is not adding additional water to the tank above. Does this make sense?

Check out pages 3-4 on my 90 gallon reef build you can see pics and a video of what I built. I will do it a bit differently the next go around, but its very effective.

If you don't know anything about sumps, I am more than happy to go through it with you. Show you how to plumb it etc.

-Tyler

If you are moving, I would just wait untill you are settled and then work on the tank.
This will give you a lot more time to do things properly and can be less stressful on the fish and you to move a tank to a new location.

I agree with Colin_T on this one. I wouldn't setup anything bigger than 55 gallons if I was about to move in 6 months.
A 60 gallon sump is plenty for a large number of tanks. There is no set exact size you should use but you want it big enough to be effective and to fit your equipment. I used a 40 gallon breeder tank under my 90 gallon setup which worked great. Really it only fills to about 25-30 gallons though because of baffles and equipment. The sump is effectively there to do the following: 1-Increase total amount of water which increases stability in water parameters. 2-Allow you to run equipment such as a skimmer and or other probes/devices and ATO systems. 3-Offer a filtration system that is out of sight of the Display Tank. 4-House a pump that sends water back to the Display Tank.

If you are worried about power outages, let me ease your mind. The tanks will not overflow if done correctly. The water level is constant in the Display Tank (DT) and if the pumps are off can't go below the set height of the drain. If the power stops, the water stops flowing to the tank below because the pump in the Sump Tank (ST) is not adding additional water to the tank above. Does this make sense?

Check out pages 3-4 on my 90 gallon reef build you can see pics and a video of what I built. I will do it a bit differently the next go around, but its very effective.

If you don't know anything about sumps, I am more than happy to go through it with you. Show you how to plumb it etc.

-Tyler

Awesome build Tyler, just went over it!
Thanks for the reply, was actually very helpful, I appreciate it.
I decided I'm going to wait on the tank until the move and then once I start setting it up I will do a bit more research and watch a few more videos, but will definitely keep you in mind if I have any questions.

Thanks again

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back