Sump Pump - Central Heating Pump...?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bungy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have been doing some donkey work recently as to how im going to pump my 800 Litres or so of water in my ongoing fishhouse project. Wattage for me is the key, I need to keep lekky costs down to minimum and a sump is deff the way forward - but what about the pump - well I came up with the idea of using a central heating pump - it has a massive "lift" capacity, comes with 3 different speed settings and will sit external to the sump thus providing even more room for filtration. Wattage at the lowest setting pulls 40w and 95w at the highest. The pump was a freebie and is brand new.
Trouble is I cant work out what the formula for pumping volume/capacity etc is and how to relate this to LPH - I need equivalent to around 2500 LPH.

Its a GRUNDFOS MULTIHEAD G :
It has British Gas/Southern Gas on the side and is BLUE in colour.

|1/1(A) P1(W)

0.17 40
0.30 65
0.44 95

IP 44 - TF 110 - CLASS H - Max 10bar

Part number: 59506180
PC: 0603

I need to be sure that this pump will circulate my total 800 or so Litres of tank water 3 times per hour (approx 2500 LPH). Can anyone work out the above formula and convert to LPH so the layman like my goodself can understand...?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Moving and bumping this to the top as it got posted in the wrong forum and was waiting for mod approval.

I recall looking at central heating pumps as my father in law uses them for his pond. I found that while they are a bit cheaper than aquarium pumps, they were not as good on LPH/W.

Have you considered the Sequence 10000?

It pushes 9,546LPH, has a 2.4m head and uses 95W.

Otherwise there is the Sequence 6000 which pushes 5,980lph, max head of 1.8m and runs at 75W.

Of course, if you really want to keep the running costs of multiple tanks down you can just use a large air pump and sponge filtration.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back