Sump Plumbing

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

craigybaby37

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i just want to check that i have this all sorted in my head before i go ahead with my uprade and do something wrong and have a big mess.

1: Ill be having 2 x 22mm overflows in the new tank 1 in each corner. Ill be using 90 degree elbow overflow fitting but will i need to use a T piece and have another pipe that comes above the overflow for it to suck air through?? heres a quick pic just so you know what i meen

sumpair.jpg

2: Any tips on making the sump whisper quiet which ive read about people achieving on various websites and forums.......just ive not seen any that explain how its done.

3: What do you use to guard the front of the overflow pipes to stop anything getting sucked down them??

If you use a durso, then the other two will become less important. By using a weir you prevent things going into the drain, and the durso incorporates a way to get air into the drain.

Agree with Andy. One suggestion though. "Durso" drains are employed when the bottom of the tank is drilled. "Calfo" overflow's are used when the top of the back or side is drilled. same concept, just puts the plumbing in slightly different spots.

been doing some research on these calfo overflows and they look great. i have just 1 question and i think ime sorted.

Would the design work the same if there was an overflow in each corner rather than all being in 1 corner??

From the link below you'll see what i meen about them being in 1 corner there are 3 pipes.
1) Emergency standpipe
2) Siphon standpipe
3) Open channel standpipe

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...hreadid=1310585

so what i meen is would the stand pipe and open chanel be ok working in oposite corners or is it just better to follow the given design as its works realy well from what ive been reading.

no need to answer my previous question as ive just found a link on the same website where someone has done exactly what i just asked and it works great.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back