Sump Or No Sump? Stuck On Wether Needed

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

philb

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Im setting up a 20G (uk) Nano, and have read alot about sumps and how good they are!

Im just a bit concerned about how comlicated they are to set up! i.e the overflow or feed to the sump, and how to get it attached or mounted without it leaking!

And how the tank is stopped form overflowing if say i left the tank for a week, and only had someone feeding the fish etc!

As in if the tank emptys into the sump and overflows the sump etc! or vice versa!

OR

Just run the tank, and do 25% water change every fortnight/10days? With LR and powerheads for circulation and filtering!

OR

External filter with cheato, and carbon/phosphate removers in!?

Any ideas?

For a 20Gal I really wouldnt bother unless you are overly fussed about hiding equipment. You could possibly consider a hang-on eco-system if you wanna be fancy but otherwise I would just use LR, a few powerheads and a skimmer.

Ben

The main advantage to adding a sump to a 20 G tank is STABILITY! Your tank will invariably become more stable due to the added water volume. If you add another 20 g tank below and use it as your sump, you have double your water volume.

On top of that, you will have the added luxury of inviting a cleaner, more natural looking tank. There is a lot of information on the web about setting up and utilizing sumps. I think it's a good idea.

That being said... my very first SW tank (without my Dad's help) was setup 2 years ago and has been running sumpless with LR, powerheads, good lighting, and an Aqua-C Remora Pro hang on skimmer.

Since setting that up, I have become a lot more knowledgable about tanks and I have setup 3 tanks with sumps, including 1 of my own :).

This is really a personal decision... choose whatever you are comfortable with!

My 30gal and 50gal are both running fine without sumps, but the more I learn about keeping SW fish and corals the more I realise the virtues of having a sump. From now on every tank I set up will have a sump. :good:

It will be a hassle to set up that's for sure, I can't say if it will be worth doing as that is your choice. I've recently added one fed by an overflow box (not drilled) to my 180L tank...

Good
I lost all the surface scum due to the overflow
I could set my skimmer to the perfect height
I could hide the heater and have one less cable in the tank.
I can top up and do water changes much easier
Tank and sump can't overflow - 'cause I did my maths.
Corals look more open - I guess from better skimming and cleaner water.
Somewhere to breed pods.
Can add LR or LS or macro algeas or cryptic zone or DSB etc...

Bad
It took ages reading and planning to get my head around.
fiddly to get the water height to the correct level
extra cost
overflow box can be loud
don't have total faith in the overflow but I didn't want to drill as tank was set up. (I'm thinking about getting it drilled)

hope some of this helps,

dave.

Basically I think if you can justify the extra expense and the trouble of setting up a sump then it will only benefit you and your tank in the long-run.

If you can't, then no harm is done and the tank will be just as effective without one

Basically I think if you can justify the extra expense and the trouble of setting up a sump then it will only benefit you and your tank in the long-run.

If you can't, then no harm is done and the tank will be just as effective without one

So if its advantageous to have one, how can the tank run as effectively without one? Just wondering as surely there must be moor positive to adding a sump than hiding of equipment! if it ran just a well without one, why would everyone bother?

So if its advantageous to have one, how can the tank run as effectively without one? Just wondering as surely there must be moor positive to adding a sump than hiding of equipment! if it ran just a well without one, why would everyone bother?

If there is a sump then you have a larger total water volume in your system. This makes your water parameters more stable.

You can add extra live rock etc to your sump tank which will increase your biological filtration. Also a sump give you a place to grow beneficial organisms like pods n stuff.

The sump can be used when doing water changes which gives the water chance to mix together before entering your display tank, decreasing stress on your fish and corals.

You can hide hardware such as heaters and your skimmer in the sump which will make your display tank look less cluttered (especially when you have a smaller tank) and the water return can provide extra movement to your main tank.

Also it's a good place to acclimate any new additions to your tank rather than having plastic bags floating in your main tank.

If you don't have the sump you just have to be a little bit more careful about your water quality :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back