Suggestions for treating popeye?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Inkweaver313

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I recently rescued a black Moore goldfish a friend of mine was keeping in a fish bowl. They had him for about a year before asking if Iā€™d take him. By the time I got him he had a pretty nasty case of popeye and some pretty obvious signs of ich.

I now have him alone in a 30 gallon tank. Weā€™ve resolved the ich problem and heā€™s been nice and settled in his tank for about 4 months now. The popeye wonā€™t go down.

Iā€™ve been treating with melafix and the occasional salt treatment. I do weekly water changes and his parameters are consistent. The ammonia is 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates < 5-10 ppm. His eyes arenā€™t white or cloudy. Iā€™m not sure what else I could try. Any suggestions?

Are you sure it's pop-eye?
If you have a goldfish that is a moor variety (black moor, red moor), their eyes naturally stick out.

Any chance of a picture of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

The best treatment for pop-eye is clean water. Doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for a couple of weeks will usually fix the problem. If that doesn't work you can add salt and if all else fails, you use anti-biotics. But you only use anti-biotics if it is a known bacterial infection that has not responded to normal fish medications.

Most reactions

trending

Back