Substrate Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kabernick30

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I'm setting up a new tank and i am curious as to which substrates are best for planted tanks?

Im leaning towards sand because its good for bottom feeders and looks nice however im not sure where to buy it from because my lfs doesnt sell aquarium specific sand, or whether just strictly sand will grow plants well

I had gravel and all the plants that I had were plastic because when I tried live plants they all died. I have now switched both my tanks to sand as I wanted it to look more natural and because I wanted some panda Cory's which I don't think should be on gravel after seeing them on sand and both my tanks now only have live plants and are doing great and I don't give them any food or co2 I just feed my fish and put my light on when it gets dark. Also I got my sand from Argos you can get 15kg for £3 and it sounds like a lot but it's not that much really. The only thing about sand is that when you put it in it makes your water cloudy and I deal with this by doing water changes and catching as much floating sand in the tank as possible. Also if you go onto the members tank page at the top of the forum and look for a thread called tank transformation and tank transformation 2 it shows what my tanks looked like after I changed from gravel to sand and the difference it makes. Hope this helps from Tom

What kind of store is Argos? Im from canada so we dont have that but we might have a similar kind of store and yeah ihave a couple cories right now in a gravel tank but i think theyd be better suited if it was sand

if your local lfs doesnt sell aquarium specific sand then it would be worth enquiring if it is safe for fish it might be completely fine just not labled as aquarium safe if they dont know maybe searching the name of it online another online shop may specify

Argos is a catalogue store. Most people will look on there website or in there catalogue and then go to the shop put the number in to check they have it in stock pay for it and then take it home. I would defiantly suggestion looking at those 2 threads that I said about as the change is amazing and I think it will defiantly convince you to go to sand rather than gravel from Tom
Here are the 2 links to the 2 tanks that I have transformed from gravel to sand and from plastic to live plants
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/428009-tank-transformation/
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/428181-tank-2-transformation/

from Tom

Pool filter sand is better than argos play sand imo.
Ive tried both and had better root systems + less cold spots in the pool filter sand, its also easier to clean.
People will have good or bad experiences with the play sand, I had bad and wouldn't go back to it.

Yeah I must say the first time I used the Argos play sand I lost about 10 fish in the tank but that was only because I had no where to put the fish whilst I changed the substrate so the fish got very stressed and some died. On the other hand when I changed the second tank over I put the fish in a bowl and changed it to sand and have had no losses from the tank and I changed it on Monday so think if I was going to lose fish because of it it would have happened by now (touches wood) from Tom

You should look into the fluorite substrates like eco-complete or sea chem they're about 25 bucks for a 20 pound bag online. I have black fluorite sand and it works great, but it will need loads of rinsing when you first buy it or else your tank will be pitch black. I think sand is better for plants because it keep the plants rooted but im not actually too sure about this.

ythao01 said:
You should look into the fluorite substrates like eco-complete or sea chem they're about 25 bucks for a 20 pound bag online. I have black fluorite sand and it works great, but it will need loads of rinsing when you first buy it or else your tank will be pitch black. I think sand is better for plants because it keep the plants rooted but im not actually too sure about this.
Black fluorite sand is great for plants as it adds a dramatic effect but has small sharp-edged grains that could hurt if you plan to add bottom dwelling algae eating fish

I am going to be doing my own substrate for my next planted.

Propagating sand (unwashed), Laterite (if i can get my hands on some), Marble chips, Blood & Bone (fine sprinkling!!), topped with sand

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back