Substrate Confusion

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JDFish

Reaction score
So I've got approx 19l of Oliver Knott soil in my tank. However I'm getting a bigger tank and need more substrate. I can't find Oliver Knott soil 10l anymore and I really don't know what other substrate I could use. I was wondering if I bought aquaclay pellets would they work as a bottom layer and I put the Oliver Knott soil on top? Im from Europe so I don't have as open a selection. WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

How big is the new tank?
you could use what you have to put over the base and then add normal brown gravel over top. The Oliver Knott soil won't be as thick but once the plant roots have access to it, they will get the nutrients.

I bought a bag of Ada soil 9l the tank will go from 80x35x30cm to 80x50x40cm LxHxW. The Oliver Knott is brown and Ada is black, I don't want to get them mixed together, can I use mesh netting or a plastic bag over the Ada soil and then put the Oliver Knott on to?

yes you can use a net or mesh (shadecloth works) but you won't be able to gravel clean the stuff under the net/ mesh. You could use shallow plastic containers to put the substrate in and that would keep it separate. It also has the advantage of letting you pick the container up with plants in if you have to more them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back