Struggling to keep ammonia below 0.25 in guppy tank help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
I had 3 guppies in a 5 gallon for around 3 weeks or a bit longer, and I moved them into a 10 gallon around 2-3 weeks ago. Iā€™ve added another 4 this Thursday so I now have 7 in total. Their all male, I was initially just going to add 2/3 so my water wouldnā€™t change rapidly but pet shops can be pushy and want to make sales. The new fish are almost babies when I say babies I donā€™t mean fry but in comparison to the fish I purchased at the beginning of January their pretty small. The store colleague said they had just come in this week. All the fish are male. I live in an area with soft water so Iā€™ve been adding additional salt minerals as adviced by members on the forum. Iā€™ve tested my water today because Iā€™ve noticed the fish flashing (not a lot just here and there). Iā€™ve had to perform 2 water changes one after the other and even now the water isnā€™t fully free from ammonia the colour is just a little lighter on the colour chart. The first one included a gravel vac and 50% water change and the second was 75%. I use a small api liquid test kit. I stupidly listened to pet shop advice and Iā€™ve fed them both the two days Iā€™ve had them. I was worried because the lady in the shop said that they get fed 2/3 times per day in the shop so they have a routine. Iā€™ve only fed them once a day since purchase. My guppies only got fed every 1/2 days because I know feeding to much just always causes problems. Iā€™ll definitely be missing a feed tonight after this experience. Iā€™ve added evolution aqua pure aquarium balls to the water, these aim to break down ammonia and nitrites in aquariums, so Iā€™m hoping these start working soon. Would adding an ammonia removal solution help? Any recommendations? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back