Striped Raphael Catfish Question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

This species (Platydoras armatulus) is by nature nocturnal.  I had one back in the 1980's but honestly cannot remember its habits.  It does require plenty of hiding spots, mainly chunks of bogwood, without which it can become very stressed.  If it has lots of retreats, it can sometimes become more active during the daylight, perhaps depending upon the individual fish.

Byron.

Oh ok thank, I made a few rock cave for her and the she kept digging in the sand as well and yes I do have a platydoras armalatus, and it sometimes eats during the day as well

blueacara said:
Oh ok thank, I made a few rock cave for her and the she kept digging in the sand as well and yes I do have a platydoras armalatus, and it sometimes eats during the day as well

Yes, I do recall mine being out at feeding.  Like a vacuum, the way they suck up chunks of food if I remember correctly.  And the digging, common to many of the catfish.

Byron said:

Yes, I do recall mine being out at feeding.  Like a vacuum, the way they suck up chunks of food if I remember correctly.  And the digging, common to many of the catfish.

hi thanks for all the help, i see her or him eat but not like a vacuum like you described should i be worried

hi thanks for all the help, i see her or him eat but not like a vacuum like you described should i be worried

No.  I am going from memory, and I have had several different species of catfish over the years, so I may be confusing them.  I used to feed chunks of frozen squid (thawed of course) to the larger fish.  I've had some that would swim along the substrate, their whiskers twitching rapidly, and just sucking up chunks of squid, worms, etc.  As long as the fish is eating, it's fine.

Hey so I stayed up until the lights in the house went out and I fed the tank and catfish pellets to her that I broke in half, and I didn't even see it drop to the floor that's how fast she ate it

Most reactions

Back