Stringy White Poop

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fishmandds

Reaction score
I am new to so bear with me, i have had a few fatalities due to something strang going on in the tank. I had a blue gauromis, black and a white balloon molly, and a female guppy all have succomb to what every this is. symptoms: long white srting poop, some times looked like packed sausages incased in white. enlarged anus and some of the fish darted, finally become listless they eventually death. I have assumed parasite infection and treated with parasite tab twice.

I do regular weekly water changes andoften clean tank completely every month or so. Does any have anyidea whats going on and why it hasn't gone away. currently my other female guppy is having the same signs happen.

Parameter:

Nitrate- about 20ppm
Nitrite- 0
GH - about 100ppm
KH - about 120ppm
PH - 7.5
temmp. currently 77-78 F

Tank 10 gallon
1 male, 1 female guppy (2nd female recently died)
1male, 1 female balloon molly
1 sunset platy

Any inisight would be great thanks

:shout:

"and some of the fish darted"

what does this mean? :hyper:

sounds like internal parasites, Waterlife Sterazin markets itself as being able to "perhaps" treat this. You may also want to look in to Flubenzol 15 as a treatment

what does this mean? :hyper:

sounds like internal parasites, Waterlife Sterazin markets itself as being able to "perhaps" treat this. You may also want to look in to Flubenzol 15 as a treatment

--> i meant that the balloon mollies, especially the black one kept rubbing up against the the objects in the tank, so much that its scales were coming off. The other fish that died just stopped eating and hid in the corners. The strange thing is the black balloon molly ate just fine until it died

I do regular weekly water changes andoften clean tank completely every month or so.

When you say you clean the tank completely every month what exactly do you do?

I clean the filter, run under tap. I siphon the tank until the water is all gone then replace the water with fresh water. treat the water and run the tank for 24 hours before i put the fish back in. I have a feeling this is casuing a problem

I do regular weekly water changes andoften clean tank completely every month or so.

When you say you clean the tank completely every month what exactly do you do?
i have the same problem in my tank :angry: i have been treating the food with garlic xtreme by kent. it is supose to attack internal paricites. so far nobody else seems to have it but my angel that does still wont eat but is some what active.

never ever run the filter under the tank! it kills the beneficial bacteria. water changes should be at least every 2 weeks if not every week and not all the water at once. stringy poo is often constipation. flicking and rubbing is an external parasite, often ich.

The problem is your maintenance procedure. The chlorine in your tap water is killing all the nitrifying bacteria in the media, then you are running the filter with any bacteria that may remain with no source of food for 24 hours.

Rinse the media with used tank water, changing 25% weekly is fine with that tank. Suggesting meds is tough without knowing what country you are from. I'll guess you are in the US or Canada since you use gallons in reference to your tank. Livebearers are more prone to bacterial problems, try Maracyn & Maracyn II for this.

Ok,

stop these 100% water changes and rinsing the filter under the tap

check water for ammonia and nitrite and post results here on a regular basis

def some parasite action, poss caused by these 100% water changes, well not caused maybe, but aggravated perhaps

have a think and do a "google" on flubenol 15

there is a good peep on here called Paul F who knows a bit about internal parasites but i aint seen any posts from him in a while???????

THE FISH THAT DIED: did they get the "skinnys" i.e. lose a lot of weight and look "anorexic" ???

thanks for everyones suggestions, i will try what i can and post later for an update, i will definitely stop the crazy water changes. wish me luck :good:

Ok,

stop these 100% water changes and rinsing the filter under the tap

check water for ammonia and nitrite and post results here on a regular basis

def some parasite action, poss caused by these 100% water changes, well not caused maybe, but aggravated perhaps

have a think and do a "google" on flubenol 15

there is a good peep on here called Paul F who knows a bit about internal parasites but i aint seen any posts from him in a while???????

THE FISH THAT DIED: did they get the "skinnys" i.e. lose a lot of weight and look "anorexic" ???

well only the female guppies seem to be experiencing that, and actually when they reflect in the light it looks like there insides are some what hollow, what do you think?

Get in touch with Paul F he really helped me with a similar problem, i see him on the forum as "active" but he aint posted for a while, hope he does, coz he usually gives good input to stuff like this.

Internal parasites can be a b*tch to cure (if thats what it is, which is what i suspect)

Get in touch with Paul F he really helped me with a similar problem, i see him on the forum as "active" but he aint posted for a while, hope he does, coz he usually gives good input to stuff like this.

Internal parasites can be a b*tch to cure (if thats what it is, which is what i suspect)

thank you so much, paulf actually just sent me a mesage about flubenol 15 i will get right on it

hi just wondered if flubenol 15 kills shrimp as my hospital tank has been a shrimp tank for some time as i have had no illness for a while and i would'nt mind gettin some flubenol 15 for when i get new fish just to be safe.

hi just wondered if flubenol 15 kills shrimp as my hospital tank has been a shrimp tank for some time as i have had no illness for a while and i would'nt mind gettin some flubenol 15 for when i get new fish just to be safe.

I am sure i saw a thread on here where someone used Flubenol 15 and had a few shrimps, and the shrimps were fine, but i cant recall for sure and certainly wouldnt want to recommend it right now (in terms of shrimps), but have a search on this site for "flubenol 15" and try and find that thread.

Also try PM Paul F about it.

Most reactions

trending

Back