FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GoodGollyMissMolly

Reaction score
Hello all, in new here. I've just came to ask for some assistance. I recently started back up my 10 gallon tank after having moved to a new location. I had kept the water going in the tank along with the air stone and the filter, so the water didn't go stagnant.

A couple days ago I got the green light from Petsmart to start adding fish, and I've stocked it as such:

Two female balloon mollies, two male guppies, one dwarf gourami.

Well, it turns out one of the balloon mollies is pregnant, from what I can tell. I had noticed this just after adding the gourami and the guppies in. They all seemed to be doing fine, but yesterday the red guppy started to nip the pregnant molly. He is the only one to be harassing her and he doesn't do it often, but my preggo has her fins clamped most of the time- occasionally putting them up.

What should I do? I'd hate to lose her, especially with her babies, from stress. She swims around as if nothing is wrong, but the clamped fins are worrying me. Everyone else seems perfectly fine and healthy.

I use API Liquid Test Kit

Tank size: 10 gallons (slightly salted water; around one tablespoon- probably less)
pH: 7.4-7.8
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: around 0 due to no fish activity until recently
kH: N/A
gH: N/A
tank temp: 76 F

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): No apparent injuries. White balloon molly with black "mermaid tail" marking and speckles. Fish swims basically all around and will, on occasion, swim in place at the top of the tank against the current. Appears stressed, fins clamped, but swims normally.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: Just did my first water change with the fish in today.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Use Prime as conditioner and Topfin Bacteria Supplement. I own API Stress Coat + and API Aquarium Salt.

Tank inhabitants: One male gourami, two female balloon mollies, two male guppies.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): All fish are within a few days of adding to tank.

Exposure to chemicals: None I am aware of.

Digital photo (include if possible): Shows balloon molly in question and the bully guppy.
IMG_0493.JPG

Last edited:
Never mind. I had decided it would be in the fishes' best interests if I returned the pregnant molly and the bully guppy to the petsmart where I got them. Everyone in the tank appears to have gone back to normal.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back