Stressed guppy about to give birth??

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BlackLavafishy

Reaction score
I got a pregnant female about two weeks ago. She was already noticeably pregnant and that was 14 days ago. I have read that they only stay pregnant for around 20 days and she looks like she is beginning to "square off" so I separated her but she and the other two fish seem stressed out by this. Should I keep her there and shop she does fine or let her out and take my chances on the babies surviving? I do not have a lot of hiding spots for them. I am waiting for some plants to arrive. I do have a few spaces though. None of the 3 guppies are aggressive, so they could be fine. I have ghost shrimp also.

they are probably acting stressed because they were disturbed. may i ask if she is in a separate tank or breeding net.

problem with these is there is nowhere nearly enough space for the fish and thus could cause it to stress.

Female livebearers are always better being left in the main tank; as Sean says, these birthing boxes/breeders nets are far too small for the fish to feel comfortable.

Average pregnancy length is around 30 days, not 20.

Just also add that I most instances the Fry in these boxes at more likely to be stressed and develop problems due to the lack of space. The chance that a few will survive in the main tank is certain. But they will be healthier

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Okay. Thank you both for the insight! It is kind of what I was thinking, I just didn't want them all to be eaten. I would love for this to be successful! I will keep ya posted. ;)

Guppies aren't big fry eaters, unlike swordtails and mollies, so you should have some survive.

Don't forget that each female can have 30 or 40 fry, every 30 days or so, so you don't really want them all to make it, or you'll be overstocked in no time.

Daisy did have her fish about two weeks ago. I think she ate all but one. I kept looking to find any that may have survived and didn't until I removed some of the plants I had placed in the tank. She DID try to eat him twice while I watched, so I moved him to the breeding box. It seems to be doing great but she died this morning... I think she was weak from having them and maybe unhealthy from eating some. She did still have two in her tummy and yes, I did look bc she had blown up again after getting slim. I had to check in case I could save them. One was fully developed too... I will keep the fry in the breeding box until he is too large for our male, Gill, to eat. I kind of hope it is a boy, so that I don't have to worry about this again but Daisy was a gorgeous leopard guppy and it would be cool to have another female like her. It is not the offspring of Gill, so that is a plus... except that he is strong and has survived a few sicknesses in the tank. I hope to have him for a long time! How long does it take for their sex to be distinguishable? I have read different things.

Most reactions

trending

Back