Stress Coat - Is This Any Good And When Should It Be Used?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wilchil64

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just been reading through some old messages and saw Stress Coat mentioned. I don't have this. Is this something I should have been using when I moved my fish into the new tank on Saturday? Does it do any good or is it a waste of money?

Thanks.

as far as I know, its the same as any other de chlorination product. I would say your paying for the name since its from API. I personally use one that buffers PH, helps eleminate some ammonia and de chlorinates. I would guess it personal preference.

Just been reading through some old messages and saw Stress Coat mentioned. I don't have this. Is this something I should have been using when I moved my fish into the new tank on Saturday? Does it do any good or is it a waste of money?

Thanks.

Stress coat is a water conditioner. I have heard of it being used like a tonic but I have no experience with this.

Its an expensive water conditioner, IMO/IME its useless to 'reduce stress'.

It claims the Aloe vera in it reduces stress, but doesn't go on to explain how or why, and I don't see how either, so I'd personally dismiss it as a gimmick.

I use stress coat to condition my water. I have the bottle size that has a pump on it and one pump happens to be the correct dose for the size of my watering can. I pump it in before I fill it so that it gets mixed up. I also bring it to the fish store when I buy fish and put some in the bag they put it in. Not sure if it actually helps, but I have never had any problems with fish getting too stressed out. While it may be more expensive than some other products, it has been reliable and therefore worth the extra couple bucks.

I use stress coat to condition my water. I have the bottle size that has a pump on it and one pump happens to be the correct dose for the size of my watering can. I pump it in before I fill it so that it gets mixed up. I also bring it to the fish store when I buy fish and put some in the bag they put it in. Not sure if it actually helps, but I have never had any problems with fish getting too stressed out. While it may be more expensive than some other products, it has been reliable and therefore worth the extra couple bucks.

I've been using prime for a number of years and I have had zero problems with it. I used stress coat for 1 bottle and I had no problems with it either. I think the aloe thing is just a gimmick. Prime works out to be cheaper. For the cheapest use pond conditioner. It works equally as well as the aquarium stuff, but for half the price.

Stress Coat is the only dechlor I've ever used. As mentioned, it says it's good to use when you have netted fish to repair the slime coat but I'm not sure if it really does any good there or not. As far as dosing, it's almost impossible to over dose, I think the fish would actually be fine in pure Stess Coat. I never measure when I do water changes. Just squirt it in.

As for being expensive its not really compared to likes of aquasafe it seemed to help my fish when i moved tanks 5ml dechlorinates 38L and 10ml for stress where as i was having to use 10ml of aquasafe per 10L

I tried Aqua+ but had Problems with it

As for being expensive its not really compared to likes of aquasafe it seemed to help my fish when i moved tanks 5ml dechlorinates 38L and 10ml for stress where as i was having to use 10ml of aquasafe per 10L

I tried Aqua+ but had Problems with it

Prime is 1 ml per 38L.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back