Strange Platy Behaviour

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

carrot1

Reaction score
Male platy started sitting on bottom of tank, thought he was going to die, but was moving fins fine, swiming up to feed. Has been like this now for 3 weeks. Spoke to fish shop who suggested he was being bullied by other male platy (only 2 in tank). Behavious backed up this idea, so took bullying platy back to shop and added new female platy today. Male platy still sitting on bottom of tank, and was worried as he seems to be listing more to one side, it's like he has lost his buoyancy and while he can swim up, he sinks back to the bottom. Scales and eyes look fine as far as I can tell. Is there anything else I can do?

Environment: 90 litre tank with happily breeding guppies, 3 peppered bottom feeders, 1 catfish, 5 neons, 3 barbs (?), a crab, 2 frogs, plants, sand, rocks. Water quality and temperature seem fine except for high level of nitrates, so do partial water changes at least once a week. Tried various nitrate removers but didn't work. Need to feed high number of babies regularly, but have sold a lot now, so hope this will help.

If he layed on the bottom laying to one side it sounds like a bacterial infection, and he's in bad shape, what do you feed your fish, plus water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph.

if he can swim up but sinks back down its very likely going to be "swim bladder infection". ive heard of a few cases of people curing it but its considered untreatable. best that you read up on google rather than me typing out all the info. hope this gives you some direction?
Dan

It does sound like a bacterial infection. Where are you from? That can help us recomend meds for you.

You did say your ntirates are high. The best way to get nitrates down is through lots of water changes. Once a week may not be enough. Also, if in the future you have fry and nitrates are climbing, take it as a sign to increase the water changes since the bio load has increased.

If he layed on the bottom laying to one side it sounds like a bacterial infection, and he's in bad shape, what do you feed your fish, plus water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph.

Absolutely sure you are right. I wish I had known 3 weeks ago when I first rang up the fish shop with this description. I went out straight away today and bought some swim bladder medicene and just hope it is in time.

Thank you.

c1

:/ is it poss. that it is just constipation? Just a thought.
More likely swim bladder infection, which I am now treating him for. Thanks for your reply! C1

If the fish is still eating try some shelled peas and frozen daphnia, good luck.

if he can swim up but sinks back down its very likely going to be "swim bladder infection". ive heard of a few cases of people curing it but its considered untreatable. best that you read up on google rather than me typing out all the info. hope this gives you some direction?
Dan

Thank you for your great reply. I only wish the fish shop gave me this sensible idea when I called 3 weeks ago. I went out straight away and bought some swim bladder medicene and salt. I hope it is not too late. I am so glad I have found this site.

Thank you. C1

It does sound like a bacterial infection. Where are you from? That can help us recomend meds for you.

You did say your ntirates are high. The best way to get nitrates down is through lots of water changes. Once a week may not be enough. Also, if in the future you have fry and nitrates are climbing, take it as a sign to increase the water changes since the bio load has increased.

I had some great replies, such as yours and am sure it is a swim bladder infection. I wish the fish shop had given me this idea 3 weeks ago. I have now treated the fish and hope it is not too late.

Thank you for your reply. Did a good water change before treatment. Will do more ...

C1

well good luck. dont hold your breath. it can be treated but i must tell you is unlikely this fish will survive. .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back