Strange Ph Results

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

electropunk06

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, just tested my water (api liquid masters) all was ok but i tested PH and high range PH and they both show diferent results
Ph = 6.6
high range Ph = 8.2

Why would i get these results?
Thanks
Lloyd

Maybe your test tubes weren't properly clean. Try again having thouroughly cleaned them in tap and thenk tank water. Shake the ph bottles and they follow the directions exactly and post the new results. :)

You most likely maxed out the pH test, so I would say the high range pH reading is the one you want to rely on.

-FHM

Thanks just gave it all a quick wash out and im getting bottom of scale (High range) and 6.6 on normal test.
my tap water is 7.6 what would cause it to drop by one when its in my tank?
Thanks
Lloyd

Reasons it could drop:

You may have a low KH value. KH is the waters buffering capacity. If it can't buffer the acid in the water (nitrates in water are mildly acidic), then the pH will lower.

Bogwood releasing tannins will lower it...

Lots and lots of plant growth can lower it a bit as they take minerals and such out of the water.

And there may well be others I haven't thought of...

ok thanks i have bog wood and plants, im planning on keeping discus at some time this year and if the PH changes while in the tank will adding new water change the PH giving fluctuations?
Thanks

Lloyd

It will yes, but chances are it wont be a markable fluctuation. With discus I think it's recommended you do regular smaller water changes? So say 2-3 20% changes a week? 20% will only give a max fluctutation of 0.2 which I wouldn't have thought would cause a problem. I guess just ask some discus keepers? You wont be the only one who has experienced this while keeping discus. :)

Hi thanks just trying to get my head around PH and water stability, still doing discus research at the min probs get the tank about feb :D
Thanks for the help
Lloyd

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back