Strange cycling results

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

matty111

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys

I tested the water today after adding the last dose of fluval cycle biological enhancer and my water is at

Ammonia 0.25

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5.0 or 10.0

Is it strange that it has missed the nitrite and what does it mean for my cycle progress

Thanks.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

First, have you tested your tap water on its own for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? This is advisable just to ascertain if any may be present.

As for the cycling, did you add any ammonia, or just use Cycle? I assume this product is similar if not identical to Nutrafin Cycle. [I seem to recall Hagen/Nutrafin/Fluval are the same or subsidiaries?]

I added 3 ppms of ammonia 6 days ago and added fluval bacteria 3 days ago i just wanted to see if it would help it a bit.

I have just tested my water out of the tap and everything is 0 apart from ph of course lol i am most confused haha

I added 3 ppms of ammonia 6 days ago and added fluval bacteria 3 days ago i just wanted to see if it would help it a bit.

I have just tested my water out of the tap and everything is 0 apart from ph of course lol i am most confused haha

OK, I do not see any issues here. According to tests by Dr. Tim Hovanec, Nutrafin's Cycle does speed up the cycling a bit, even though it contains (or contained then) the "wrong" bacteria. So I would assume that it may have helped establish the bacteria. There are many factors involved in the cycling, factors that can affect the process such as temperature, pH, amount of ammonia (it is possible to kill or slow the nitrite oxidation bacteria), etc. In other words, there is no hard and fast rule for "cycling" that applies to every tank.

Should have asked before, but do you have live plants inn this tank?

On the nitrate test, if it is the API liquid test kit, you need to shake Regent #2 a good two minutes (the instructions used to say 30 seconds for both Regent 1 and 2) or the result may be higher than it actually is.

Yer i have a good few plants in the tank will that change the cycling results a bit

Yer i have a good few plants in the tank will that change the cycling results a bit

Yes, and that may now fully explain your test numbers.

Aquatic plants need nitrogen as one of the macro-nutrients. They prefer assimilating it as ammonia/ammonium. Depending upon the plant species and numbers, they will create what some term a "silent cycle." The uptake of ammonia/ammonium is so substantial that in most aquaria you will never see ammonia or nitrite, and may not see nitrate depending again upon the plants, and the fish load.

Fast growing plants are best for this, as being fast growing they obviously need more food than slow growing plants. Floating plants are ideal here, but other fast growers like the stem plants also use a lot of ammonia/ammonium.

I have never "cycled" an aquarium, and I have set up or re-set dozens over the years. Once the plants are growing, in go the fish. With anyone not experienced doing this, I would advise going slow with fish. If you have already added ammonia, don't add any more; it is possible to add too much and kill the plants and essential bacteria.

Soooo would you say that if i wait till the rest of the ammonia goes i could possibly slowly add fish and do a silent cycle as i have a well planted tank.

also thank you very much for spending so much time on your replies

Soooo would you say that if i wait till the rest of the ammonia goes i could possibly slowly add fish and do a silent cycle as i have a well planted tank.

also thank you very much for spending so much time on your replies

You're welcome. Can you post a photo of this tank? I'd like to see the specific plants; as I said previously, those of us experienced in this method can assess things and know what to expect, or how to correct something. And, has the tank been running with the plants for six days, or longer? The point here is that you want to know the plants are actually growing.

The first pic is of my tank on the first day i started it i think it was the 30th december and the second pic is of the tank now
55c0bd934c73a9ddafe06fa9f632ee02.jpg
b06ff474e43d886f4c712b35a0dac239.jpg

Are you using any fertilizer? The sword would greatly benefit from a substrate tab. I use Seachem's Flourish Tabs, just one close to the root crown, replaced every 3 months or thereabouts. The benefit of tabs with swords is that this is a heavy feeder, and placing the tab in the substrate gets the nutrients to the plant roots quickly. With Flourish Tabs you also have the benefit that they do not leech into the water column (so Seachem say, and in my tanks where I use a lot of them I have not noticed this occurring). And thee benefit of this is that algae cannot use the nutrients to advantage as can occur if you happen to add too much liquid fertilizer. I've had outbreaks of brush algae solely from using more Flourish Comprehensive Supplement than was obviously being used by the plants in one tank; substrate tabs and near-eliminating the liquid solved the algae problem.

The Anubias on the left is a slow growing plant, so less nutrient needs. The stem plants in the back are likely a Hygrophila, and fast growing if light is sufficient.

What fish are you intending for this tank?

I would like to get some red and white crystal shrimp and i am not sure on fish but i know i would like tetras of some sort but there is too many to choose from hahaha also i have not started fertilizer yet but i will get some of the root tablets you suggest i have used a soil under the gravel for the plants also

I would like to get some red and white crystal shrimp and i am not sure on fish but i know i would like tetras of some sort but there is too many to choose from hahaha also i have not started fertilizer yet but i will get some of the root tablets you suggest i have used a soil under the gravel for the plants also

When you know the tetra species, I will be able to suggest which (if more than one) and how many. Shoaling fish should always be introduced together, i.e., acquire the full intended group at one time. They settle in much faster, develop fewer issues, and establish any hierarchies better (with some species this is a major issue, hardly at all with others).

With soil, be observant. During the first few months this can cause sudden ammonia increases from the decomposition of organics. Also CO2 but that is not a problem as the plants will readily take up CO2. But ammonia sometimes can be so high it will affect fish; given how much plants can use, I assume this is worth keeping a lookout for. I've never used soil. The tablets are still advisable for the sword.

Right that is great info thank you i will let you know when i have a look at what tetras i fancy and i will keep an eye on the ammonia cheers mate

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back