Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Stop me!!

Discussion in 'Coldwater Fish and Ponds' started by BeckyCats, Feb 19, 2017.

1. omega59

omega59 Member

One of my wanting a is to have a 100gal tank well setup with goldfish I think they are beautiful. If you can do it, get them

• Like Like x 1
  2. BeckyCats

BeckyCats Member

I'm getting the tank. Whether the fish will still be there when I get the tank set up is another issue. I can'
    I'm getting the tank! Yay! Whether the fish will still be there when I get the tank set up is another issue. I can't rush it though. I know better than that. I just have to breeeeathe and let it happen in its own time. (Impatiently drumming fingers).

I have been thinking about oscars as well, so funny you should mention that! I was thinking they might be better for a 90 gallon tank minimum and I think I would rather have a 75 gallon tank in the living room considering size and weight. I do really want an oscar though. Everyone says they are awesome. I am concerned about them destroying the equipment though. I've read that they can trash the heater and all of the other things in the aquarium. Did you find that with yours?

I will look up the instagram pages you mentioned. I googled the life jacket and I can't get over it. It is simultaneously heart warming and heart breaking. It is something no sane person would do and yet so totally something I could see myself doing. It's like you said, with those little puppy-dog faces, you just want to cuddle them! :wub:

3. BeckyCats

BeckyCats Member

I think I will let my husband decide which he prefers. I just CANNOT make decisions sometimes.

4. StevenF

StevenF Member

I have resently read that some gold fish don't stop growing. Meaning for each year they can add an inch of length for each year of age. So a gold fish at 20 years of age would be 20 inches long. If it lives to 40, 40 inches long. The Sturgeon is the same way the largest one caught was about 1100 lbs and was 12 feet 4 inches long. For most. Tropical fish and in fact most fish and animals stop growing at some point in there life.

talk to your local fish store. Some stores are willing to purchase excess fish and sell them if they are healthy. You probably won't make much money or even non at all but it would keep your population under control.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GobyMaster11276

GobyMaster11276 Fish Fanatic

When I had oscars they didn't destroy the equipment, they just uprooted every plant. They're very energetic, mine would always follow me across the tank, and acted much like dogs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Toney

Toney Mostly New Member

My oscar watches late night tv with me

• Like Like x 2
  7. thrujenseyes

thrujenseyes Member

I adored my Oscar very much. Like I said, he was housed with a Jack Demspy, who was stunning but not anywhere near as interactive as the Oscar. He was seriously like a little water dog living in a tank.
    He did not destroy anything other than uprooting plants. I had to have stupid fake plants and he didn't mess with those. He never touched my heater or anything else of importance.

I had a Green Terror before him and HE DESTROYED everything. I could hear him from 3 rooms away just having at the tank. I'd come into the room and all of the gravel.....I mean ALL... would be pushed up against one side of the tank. He was the strangest most destructive fish I ever came across. I brought him back to the store because obviously I couldn't give him what he wanted....which was apparently world domination.

and I see quite a few people that have done similar things to help their goldies (who apparently fall victim to swim blatter pretty easily). And yes, I'd be one of them too! ha

Yep! Totally!

ha, adorable!

• Like Like x 1
  8. BeckyCats

BeckyCats Member

Ha ha! You are so funny! Sounds like the Green Terror was appropriately named!

9. thrujenseyes

thrujenseyes Member

indeed he was and i was legitimately scared of him....it was only a matter of time before he bust thru those glass walls and came for me! I handed him back over to the fish store and peeled out of the parking lot!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. BeckyCats

BeckyCats Member

:rofl: