Stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rileymc

Reaction score
Right now I have two 20 gallon aquariums (one is long and the other is regular). In the long one I currently have 8 GloFish Tetras, 3 Whiteskirt Tetras, and 3 guppies. In the regular 20 gallon I have two small/medium sized goldfish (had them for 5+ years together).

I am looking to convert the goldfish tank to a tropical planted "natural" feeling aquarium, with guppies, platies, Endler's, and maybe swordtails. I will be giving the goldfish to a friend of mine or looking to give them to a store.

How many of each of the small tropical fish will I be able to carry in the aquarium that I have planned? Also, are their any bottom-of-the-tank dwellers that would do good with the community I have planned (preferrably other than shrimp)? I know the community I have planned are livebearers that reproduce quickly, so I have a 5.5 gallon tank with a sponge filter and all equipment set up and cycling for the fry (if the fry become too many, I will just have them loose in the main aquarium to be eaten or they will be given away).

Unfortunately I do not have any space at all for another aquarium, because if I did I would probably purchase a 50-75 gallon one, but for now that is out of the question for atleast a few years.

To restate my questions, I asked- How many of each fish will I be able to hold in my aquarium without being too overly stocked? Also, are there any suggestions for bottom dwelling tank makes other than shrimp that get along nicely?

Thank you all so much, Merry Christmas!!

What filter(s) will you be using (brand/model/style)? That can have an impact when deciding on quantity of fish :)

Most reactions

trending

Back