Stocking Suggestions For Newbie

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bullgoose

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 54 liter tank and want suggestions as to what i could stock it with.  Happy to have found this forum as my plans were far to much for the tank size.

I would like at least 4 different types and snail or two, but so many conflicting opinions i am now totally confused.

My local shop is decent but not huge and i am looking for fish considered newbie friendly,

So please if you have time give me a few stocking plans.

thanks

Dave

p.s  (tank been running away with four live plants for a week but i have added nothing to the water, can i start stocking now or not ??)

OK, the problem is fitting in 4 different species, but this would be a go-er:-

1 x male Honey Gourami as your centrepiece
4 x male Endler
6 x Celestial Pearl Danio
6 x Salt & Pepper Corydoras

Trichogaster-chuna-male2-288x192.jpg

Honey Gourami

poecilia_wingei_male_1-288x192.jpg

Endler

Danio-margaritatus-2-288x216.jpg

Celestial Pearl Danio

corydoras_habrosus_1-288x198.jpg

Salt & Pepper Corydoras

They look fantastic. Thanks for the quick reply.   If anyone else has suggestions please post as i plan to go in with multiple options due to not knowing what the shop has.

You will need to cycle your tank before you add anything to it. The link is in my signature and is what Ninjouzata has linked you to.

I'd do...

4X Guppies
4X Ottocinclus (optional)
1X Honey Gourami
6X Pygmy Cory.

I aint in any hurry so will ensure the tank is properly cycled. The woman in the shop said i could add a few zebra danios or neons now claiming it would speed up the cycling.  Guess she was just pushing for a sale.

It would and it wouldn't speed up the cycling. Just to clarify, cycling is growing two colonies of bacteria to process the ammonia produced by fish, via nitrite, into nitrate. To start cycling, you need a source of ammonia in the tank. The woman in the shop implied that if you didn't add the fish, your cycle would take ages to complete. It wouldn't take ages to complete, because it would not even start.

The link that everyone has been pushing you towards is about fishless cycling - instead of using fish to provide the ammonia source, you use bottled ammonia. This way is less work, generally speaking it's quicker, no fish are harmed at all, and when it's done, you can fully stock your tank in one go, rather than building up gradually.

norweigen tetra.jpg

Well the first fish to go in have been taken out of my hands after missus surprised me with 4 of these.

So i,ll be adding around these later.  Would the suggestions above all be ok in conjunction with these ?

The honey gurami is in stock so i will be getting that at some point

What species is that, OP?

Do you have test kits? As you're now doing a fish-in cycle, it's essential that you're able to test the water, every day, for ammonia and nitrite as, if allowed to build up, those toxins can make your fish very sick, or even kill them.

well these came as a surpsrise so i do not have any test kits but the shop is on my doorstep. They are called  "norwegian flag tetra" roughly translated.

will get the kits tomorrow. I assume i should wait a week or so before adding further _?

NNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Wait until the filter has built up enough bacteria to support these fish before you add any more, and this may well take 6 weeks or more. Have a look at the green link in my signature area.

Will do my homework fully before adding further

thanks for the help folks

bullgoose said:
They are called  "norwegian flag tetra" roughly translated.
Never heard them called that before (oh, how I do hate common names!).

I think it's what's more usually known as a 'Buenos Aires tetra', Hyphessobrycon anisitsi.

They are a really bad choice for your tank. Not only do they grow to around 7cms, they're also very boisterous and active, and ought to be in a tank of at least three feet long. And, just to cap it all, they can be very, very nippy when kept in small numbers, so you're going to struggle to find anything that could go with them.

I would return them to the shop, do a fishless cycle, and then get something more appropriate, tbh.

well that sounds about as bad a start as i could possibly have had.  Message going out to all the people i know not to surprise me with anymore fish.

Oh, it could have been worse!

Could have been a common or sailfin plec (between 1 and 2 feet), or a pangasius catfish (potentially 4'+!).

But yes, people can't just go out and buy fish because they look pretty; some fish get big, some are either very aggressive or very shy, and some need special water conditions. You need to research each species's needs (or ask on here; far more reliable
wink.png
) before you commit yourself.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back