Stocking Suggestions For New Tank :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Im getting another 125gal just after christmas soon and looking for some stocking suggestions, the main stocking is going to be my current stocking in my 125gal but just split up a bit and added more in numbers.
My current stocking in my current 125gal is;

25guppys+,
12 platys,
10 pearl danios(home bred :D )
24 neon tetras,
4 albino corys,
4 peppered corys,
4 panda corys,
9 WCMM(white cloud mountain minnows),
1 RTBS(red tailed black shark),
2mollys,
1 7inch common plec,
1 8inch common plec,
1 10inch sailfin plec,
1 6inch chocolate plec,
1 4inch para plec(L075 i think).

Plus a couple fish in my 30gal quarentine/hospital tank(1 platy, 2guppys and 2mollys to keep it cycled to be exact).

Once i get another 125gal(there will be another one after that as well) i divide the stocking plus increase the numbers of some of my current fish, so the 2 tanks will look more like this;

125gal no.1;

1 7inch common plec
1 8inch common plec
1 6inc chocolate plec
40guppys
24neon tetras
8 albino corys
10 panda corys
2 mollys

125gal no.2;
1 10inch sailfin plec
1 4inch para plec(will get more if i can find them but they are rare so i can't count on more for now)
1 RTBS(red tailed black shark)
20 pearl danios
20 WCMM(white cloud mountain minnows)
20 platys
8 peppered corys
...and perhaps some more cory species although im not sure what yet.

...For the 3rd 125gal i will put one of the common plecs in it, but its a long way off for the mo so i am going to concentrate right now on the new 125gal.
Im interested in stocking suggestions but i want very peaceful fish only and no massive growing ones, as you can see i own alot of fish that are considered by many to be "beginner" or "boring" fish but i love color, personality and peaceful fish so all suggestions are welcome as long as they abide by these factors plus the fish don't grow larger than 4-5inchs max :thumbs: .
Thanks for your time and any comments/suggestions/opinions are welcome :)

Hi. Well i just have to say that i have a lot of fun with my 55, and can't imagine how much fun you'll have with 3 125's. I think you're selection of fish sounds pretty interesting and diverse even though they are as you call them "beginner" and "boring" fish. If i were stocking a new 125 i think i would go for some of what you have already, mainly the guppy's, neon tetras, corys etc. Other fish that i have that are peaceful are black neon tetras, scissortail rasboras, and a silver dollar. All of these fish have been very peaceful in my tank. Maybe the silver dollar would be too big for what you like though. Other fish that i've been looking at are dwarf neon rainbows, and harlequin rasboras. Good luck with the new tank. I wish i had room, time and extra cash for 3 big 125's!

There are several kinds of rainbowfish that you may wish to consider but I'll let you research those yourself...

To add some diversity as far as shape is concerned, I'd consider adding a pair of bolivian rams. Alternatively, german blue/gold rams (though they are less hardy) or kribs/pulcher (though they are slightly more aggressive). With all these cichlids, the 2nd tank is better as they can get a little boisterous at breeding time and may cause problems for your guppies (though it's quite unlikely in that size tank that they'll clash).

If you want something even better (IMO anyway ;)), gouramies are the way to go... I know you said nothing that exceeds 4" but pearl gouramies get to 5", are very peaceful, social fish and look amazing swimming together in the upper layers. I'd suggest a group of 5 or more with 1 or 2 males and several females. Alternatively, colisa fasciata (4" max.) or colisa labiosa (3.5" max.) are also lovely, peaceful gouramies that would do well kept as trios (1 male with 2 females) in either tank. If you want something even smaller, colisa chuna/sota (honey gourami) are lovely little creatures and, though often confused with the dwarf gourami (colisa lalia), are hardy and only get to about 1.5". All the aformentioned fish are very colorful, typicaly top-dwelling species. If you want something that doen't swim at the top but is still as hardy as any of the previous species, croaking gouramies or sparkling gouramies (trichopsis vittatus and trichopsis pumilus respectively) are good choices but avoid putting the sparklers with anything that might pose a threat to them (ie: the RTBS) as they only get to just over 1". All these fish preffer planted tanks with some floating cover for the top-dwelling species.

Other fish you may want to consider: swordtails (keep in mind that they'll readily breed with platies), american-flag fish (as trios - will also eat algae and breed readily, extremely hardy), endler's (NOT WITH GUPPIES as they'll interbreed), cherry barbs (kept as trios) or checker barbs (in a school). These are all hardy, very colorful species.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, im quite interested in croaking gouramis after doing a little bit of research on them, the lfs's i know do not sell floating plants of any species(crazy i know)- is it very important to provide floating plants in particular for gouramis? I've read that telling the genders apart in croaking gouramis is difficult, but i have noticed with other types of gouramis getting the right gender ratios is important as males can often fight, how do croaking gouramis fair towards each other as far as genders go :dunno: ?

post-39-1083996624.jpg

Im also interested in bloodfin tetras, if anyone has any personall experiences with keeping these fish and give me any tips on kepping them healthy, i would be grateful to know :) .
All suggestions for stocking are welcome too :D

Ive had 6 bloodfin for a year and they are typical hardy tetra ..Mine are totally peaceful,active and have no special food requirements.They are one of those fish who are harder to kill than keep alive.I keep them with 2 dwarf gourami ,4 platies and a few cory.Never had any problems whatsoever with them
If you are thinking about tetra may I suggest congo tetra.They are beautiful fish and totally peaceful and look stunning in a school in the tank.They are one of those fish that look quite dull in the shop but really colour up at home and as they grow.
Sorry,I know nothing about croaking gouramis

Hi Tokis-Phoenix :)

I like your selection so far. Just because some of your fish are often found doesn't mean it's easy to keep them. Often beginners stock them because they are some of the nicest fish around and they are so pleasing to the eye.

If you add more corys, why not hold off until you can find some of the brightly colored or vividly marked ones. Orange lazer C. aeneus and C. arcuatus (skunk corys) come to mind, but there are others just as interesting. Just be sure that you get ones that do well in the temperature you will be keeping your tank since some corys prefer warmer temperatures and some, like your pandas and peppereds, do best when it's a little cooler.

You might also want to consider a few weather loaches if your tank is kept toward the cool side. They can get a little longer than the length you mentioned, but since they are thin, they should fit in nicely. They are active and get along well with others.

Blind cave tetras are another long time favorite of mine that are often overlooked. They are active and agreeable fish that are very easy to keep. They have no eyes at all, yet get along fine. People often comment on them when they see them. :D

Thanks for the suggestions, i keep my tank at around 24-26 degrees(bascially 25 most of the time) and i take this is towards the cooler ranger of tropical temps- in particular what types of corys would you advise for this sort of temp range? Im very interested in the laser corys although i have only seen them once for sale in a lfs fairly near me, would get a group of them if they prefer my temps- i saw some pure black corys once but i can't remember their name- do you know what they could be :unsure: ?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back