Stocking suggestions for 20g

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi again, for Christmas I got a 20 gal hexagon tank, tall. Anyone have any suggestions for easily kept beginner fish?

Thx!

Angel fish in a 20 gallon hex? Umm no,that wont work what happens in 2 or 3 months when they get bigger?

We need to know about your water is it hard or soft?

Do you know how to cycle a tank?
Have you got a filter and heater?
Have you got a light for the tank?

A hard no to angel fish. I honestly prefer longer tanks to tall tanks, there are far more options with them due to available horizontal swimming space.

I'd probably do a planted tank with pea puffers or honey gourami with a schooling species (if soft water), some live bearers like platties or guppies (if hard water).

Alright: sooo at this minute I’m in the middle of cleaning and maintenance on the tank (so no water yet, sorry).

I know how to cycle and I have a filter, heater, and light, also a bubbler I’m not sure if I’ll use or should. I was just trying to plan for future fish, so it’ll take time before I get them.

My original thought was:
Gourami and small schooling fish
Or
Gourami and livebearers
Or a compatible combo.

I have the most experience with bettas and livebearers so fish with similar care is preferred.

Thx, and sorry for the long message..

Hi again, for Christmas I got a 20 gal hexagon tank, tall. Anyone have any suggestions for easily kept beginner fish?

Thx![/QUOTE
I would personally recomend getting a few Platies of the same sex. They are great hardy and very colourful fish! Make sure you have fully cycled your tank before getting fish of any kind. Good luck! & Merry Christmas.

Thank you, I just finished cleaning up the tank and I’m pretty proud of it even if there’s nothing in it right now.
Do Gouramis (1) and platies live peacefully together?
Thx again, and Merry Christmas!!

Yes Gouramis and Platies can live together very well. I would suggest Honey or Dwarf Gouramis though because other species (such as pearls) get too large for your size of tank! I would say that two dwarf Gouramis and four or five Platies of the same sex (so they don't breed like mad) would be a great stock list for you :))

A 20 gallon hex. Look I will be honest with you forget Gouramis and Platies you tank is not suitable however it is suitable for micro fish, Chilli or Dwarf Rasboras or Endlers, In a 20 hex you can easily have 10 or so Rasboras or Male endlers and a bunch of Cherry shrimp.

Thank you, I will consider all the options you guys have given me. I’m sure I can work it out when the time for fish comes!

Thank you for all your help!

Time to jump in with my usual speech about dwarf gouramis. Do not get dwarf gouramis (Trichogaster lalius) or any of their colour forms because they carry two nasty diseases, the Iridovirus and Tuberculosis (TB). The fish can carry these diseases for months before developing symptoms and dying. And once the disease is in your tank it is there forever, or until you disinfect the tank.

If you can get locally bred gouramis they are usually fine and free of these diseases but anything from Asia could have it so avoid them.

There are plenty of small gouramis like honey dwarf, thick lip, Indian banded, licorice and sparkling that are generally free of these diseases.

----------------------
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the pH and general hardness (GH) of your water?
You can usually find the pH and GH on your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they don't have the information you can take a glass full of tank water to your local pet shop and get them to test the water for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests and post the results here.

This information will help us provide you with a list of fish that are best suited to your tank and conditions.

The next time you are at the pet shop you can also make a list of fish you like and post it here and we can suggest fish that will work in your set up.

Hi again, sorry it took so long to get back to you guys...

I couldn’t find any info on the water from our suppliers’ website and I have no time to go out to the pet store any time too soon so I tested my tap water and tank water with some aquarium strips (I know their not that great but that’s all I’ve got right now, sorry)

Tap water tested 5 mins ago:
Ph- 6.0
Gh- 60

Tank water tested yesterday:
Ph- about 6.5 (close as I could get)
Gh- 60
Tank size measured to best of my abilities:
Height- 18 in
Width- 15 in
Length- 15 in
Temperature- 78 degrees F

Some fish I like:
Gouramis, especially honey/sunset or powder blue
Bettas of all kinds
Guppies, platys, mollies
Corys
Tetras- neon, black skirt, embers
Small Plecos, though I’ve never had one

Sorry if my info is kinda wonky, I’m fairly new to all of this. I have more experience with smaller tanks.

Hi

Ph- about 6.5

No Guppies, Mollys, Platys Mystery or nerite snails or any other fish that prefer hard water.

Will a pair (or single) of honey Gouramis and a small school of tetras or Rasboras do ok?

Never kept Honey Gourami so no idea.

A nice school of Chilli rasboras would go nice in a well planted tank, Or Dwarf Rasboras and if the tank has a sand substrate some Kuhli loaches or dwarf cories.

You could easily have 10 or so Rasboras and 6 or 7 Cories or Kuhlis

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back