Stocking Question And Filter Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

electronblu

Reaction score
i was hopeing that someone would be albe to give me a stocking list or suggestions for one. i have a 29 US gallon tank and i was going to put 6 bala sharks, 1 red tailed shark, 6 sliver dollars and a tire track eel..basically i would like some not so commonly seen fish, tetras, danios, and fish like them are too common.... so any suggestions would be nice.

my other question is i have another 20 gallon tank that i have some tetras, blood fins, danios and ghost shrimp in and am planning on turning it into a puffer tank. the question is can i take the filter that i have in it already and continue to use it in the new brakish setup. its already cycled and has a biowheel....the tank also has a spong fliter and powerhead, can these still be used as well... any help would be great

i was hopeing that someone would be albe to give me a stocking list or suggestions for one. i have a 29 US gallon tank and i was going to put 6 bala sharks, 1 red tailed shark, 6 sliver dollars and a tire track eel..basically i would like some not so commonly seen fish, tetras, danios, and fish like them are too common.... so any suggestions would be nice.
Wooh there! That's some serious over stocking. Bala sharks need a 3 foot long tank and reach 10 - 12" each. That 29 would be overstocked just with 3 of them in it, let alone all the others. So I would say no to them. The Silver dollars are a possibility but again really need a 3 foot tank so not sure if yours is big enough even then you only have room for 6 maximum and nothing else. I hate red tailed sharks as they seem to get on with practicly nothing once they get a bit bigger. Maybe Ive just had bad luck.

my other question is i have another 20 gallon tank that i have some tetras, blood fins, danios and ghost shrimp in and am planning on turning it into a puffer tank. the question is can i take the filter that i have in it already and continue to use it in the new brakish setup. its already cycled and has a biowheel....the tank also has a spong fliter and powerhead, can these still be used as well... any help would be great
I would say that this plan sounds fine although I have not kept dwarf puffers before. I would have thought you have room for a couple in that 20 but obviously with no other fish due to their aggresive nature.

Read this

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...hl=dwarf+puffer

:good:

Wooh there! That's some serious over stocking. Bala sharks need a 3 foot long tank and reach 10 - 12" each. That 29 would be overstocked just with 3 of them in it, let alone all the others. So I would say no to them. The Silver dollars are a possibility but again really need a 3 foot tank so not sure if yours is big enough even then you only have room for 6 maximum and nothing else. I hate red tailed sharks as they seem to get on with practicly nothing once they get a bit bigger. Maybe Ive just had bad luck.

I would say that this plan sounds fine although I have not kept dwarf puffers before. I would have thought you have room for a couple in that 20 but obviously with no other fish due to their aggresive nature.

ok that sounds fair enough, i was kinda expecting that answer... so what would be exceptable then? i want something that is kinda flashy and an eye catcher....

It's all down to personaly taste really. Go and visit a really well stocked LFS with lots of species to choose from. Write down all the ones you like the look of and then post them in the forum to see if theyre appropriate for your tank or not. Try and find a species you definitely want to keep then fit your other stock around it whilst trying to keep a good mix of top, middle and bottom dwellers, singles and schools.

It's all down to personaly taste really. Go and visit a really well stocked LFS with lots of species to choose from. Write down all the ones you like the look of and then post them in the forum to see if theyre appropriate for your tank or not. Try and find a species you definitely want to keep then fit your other stock around it whilst trying to keep a good mix of top, middle and bottom dwellers, singles and schools.

ok thanks for all the help... ill have to take a trip to the fish store in the next day or two

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back