Stocking Options

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Typhlodew

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
WIN_20160204_17_01_21_Pro (2).jpg*Please Note, I will not be putting new fish in for a few months, until April, or May.

I currently have a ten gallon tank stocked with a Dwarf Gourami, and two guppies. I was wondering what else I might also be able to add in a couple of months. The reason why I am asking now is so that I can do sufficient research on the fish and choose the right fish for my tank. 

Thanks any suggestions are appreciated.

This is what my tank looks like, sorry for the cruddy quality:   

What are the dimensions of the tank, and is your water hard or soft?

fluttermoth said:
It is a ten gallon, 10.5"L x 20.25"W x 19.562"and my water is neutral. The measurements are in inches.

Typhlodew said:

It is a ten gallon, 10.5"L x 20.25"W x 19.562"and my water is neutral. The measurements are in inches.

Nuetral as their is no salt content in the water or nuetral as the Ph is 7.0?

nuetral as the ph is 7.0 and as far as I know my salt content is a 0, I don't know how to test for it.

strips or ask your water provider if they add any salt content. As well there are test stripes that you can use, also you could ask your LFs to see if they have a test kit to see if it can detect any salt content in the water.

Also, some fish like a higher Ph, or a lower Ph, depending on the fish you got. As well some fish require a brackish water type so some salt is good for other fish at about .30 to .5PPM, or 1.005 SG(Specific Gravity)

BaylorPerez said:
strips or ask your water provider if they add any salt content. As well there are test stripes that you can use, also you could ask your LFs to see if they have a test kit to see if it can detect any salt content in the water.

Also, some fish like a higher Ph, or a lower Ph, depending on the fish you got. As well some fish require a brackish water type so some salt is good for other fish at about .30 to .5PPM, or 1.005 SG(Specific Gravity)

I don't know of any strip tests that test for salt, and I can't see why a water utility would add salt to water. Basically, water that comes out of a tap (fawcett) does not have salt in it. 

Baylor, when people talk about neutral water, they pretty much always mean pH. The OP was answering a question about pH. Probably best not to try to confuse the situation.

i ask what they mean by neutral because in my school years(hated them of course), we had neutral salt water(described as a Ph of 8.5+) and neutral freshwater(described as 7.0 to about 7.2).

More to the fact, school may have impacted my knowledge on the freshwater and saltwater neutrality. but thats just my knowledge as of now.

you guys got any suggestions, or do you think I'm fine?

I was thinking that you might be alright to add a few more guppies but I think that would probably take you up to your limit. But with guppies its best to have about one male for every 4/5 females to avoid the females be chased to death. However, if you aren't planning to breed any of the guppies (I wouldn't suggest it as you can easily become over run and over stocked with the offspring and you could end up with them interbreeding) then I suggest getting all males and they are usually more bright and colorful than the females anyway.

nofishinginmytank said:
I was thinking that you might be alright to add a few more guppies but I think that would probably take you up to your limit. But with guppies its best to have about one male for every 4/5 females to avoid the females be chased to death. However, if you aren't planning to breed any of the guppies (I wouldn't suggest it as you can easily become over run and over stocked with the offspring and you could end up with them interbreeding) then I suggest getting all males and they are usually more bright and colorful than the females anyway.
Okay, thanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back