Stocking Options

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Simon.Chenery

Reaction score
hello everyone...im starting out on a tropical fish tank, the tank i have my eye on is roughly a 100 ltr tank. how many fish roughly do you think i could get in this tank and also what fish could i have in there as i have heard some fish are none good with others...im thinking of gettin some neon tetras, could anyone else what fish i could possibly put in the same tank? thanks

Hi welcome to the forum! 100 liter tank is a nice size and gives you quite a few options. First things first make sure you read the article in the begginers resource section on fishless cycling it can be a bit of a pain but believe me its worth it in the long run. In 100 liters I would have a pair or trio of feature fish with a medium size school and some bottom dwellers so for feature fish thats things like dwarf gourami, honey gourami, laetacaras, bolivian rams, apsitogrammas etc then with a school like the tetras you mentioned (though I would not go for neons, as cool as they are they are very weak and can often drop off from various ailments in new tanks. And then something like cory cats for the bottom.

Wills

oh right cool out of the tetra family which tetra would you say are the toughest? as i have seen lots of different tetra's in the fish shops

Not recommending them by hardyness, but i rate them all none-the-less.

Rummynose Tetras
Lemon Tetras
Glass tip/tail Tetras
Serpae Tetras
Ember Tetras

Just to name a few that are great tetras, i particularly like rummynose and lemon tetras. There are loads to pick from though :hyper:

cool what fish would you say would be a good first fish to put in the tank when it is ready? im thinkin of maybe getting some mollies and guppies...

If you follow the fishless cycle method as mentioned in the beginners resource section you would be able to add most fish straight away. I wouldnt get mollies as they get a bit too big IMO for a 20g but platies would be cool. As for tetras Verminators list is very good but I would avoid the rummynose for a new tank and the serpae tetras in general as they are quite nippy with other fish.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back