Stocking my 1.5 gallon tank!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bettalover12

Reaction score
So i have 2 bettas my first one i got few months ago and he started his life with me in a 1.5 gallon tank with a heater and filter. He started getting stressed and biting his own tail and i researched and found out his tank was small(i already knew it was to small but i didnt think it was urgent) he now lives in a cycled 5.5 gallon planted tank with a heater and filter. Well we got another betta and we kept him in the 1.5 gallon tank until we got another 5.5 gallon tank all setup and cycled. The tank should be done cycling by tommrow or in a few days.
now im wondering what to put in the 1.5 gallon tank. Its not big enough for fish but i was wondering if maybe i could house shrimp? I have a heater and filter for that tank but maybe i can add cherry shrimp? I read that cherry shrimp populate quickly and i dont want them to be to crowded in the tank. Im also willing to change the filter i have now and make a small biological filter so none of the shrimp get sucked up. My family and i have a 73 gallon saltwater aqurium downstairs so maybe i could raise brine shrimp and feed them to the fish down stairs?(along with their Omega one pellets and flakes and freeze dried krill) i want something not TO HIGH MAINTENCE but maybe i could turn the tank into a saltwater tank and use live sand and raise brine shrimp? Please give me a shrimp that isnt to hard to care for and would do fine in a tank that size with a biological filter and a heater. It can be saltwater or fresh water.

I've had red cherry shrimp in my tank and found they are easy to breed with a good bed of moss, and the young could be used as food. Never set up a tank purely for shrimp though.

Why would you not set up a tank for shrimp ? Many do, and i have in the past. That can be a separate hobby, all unto itself.

Why would you not set up a tank for shrimp ? Many do, and i have in the past. That can be a separate hobby, all unto itself.
Do you know what type of shrimp would be best for a 1.5 gallon tank? I would do well with small water changes every week if needed and would test the tank weekly to make sure the shrimp are okay. I will also make a biological filter so they dont get sucked up with the filter i have now. I also have a small heater if needed and if the shrimp your recomend are saltwater then i have aqurium salt a ready to go and i have some live sand if needed.

I'm sure it's as rewarding a hobby as the fish tanks, Personally I like my shrimp in my main tank along with my fish. I have had casualties in the past but also had several survive and breed and with the provision of a good moss carpet go on to live a fairly happy existence.

Are you wanting a large number of shrimp, as in RCS (Red Cherry) ??

Tudsuo7.jpg

Or just a couple of the larger species such as the Bamboo. ??

ZIzT7pI.jpg

The problem is, everyone has their own way of doing things, and no ones taste is ever exactly the same. Suggestions are great as long as the tank owner is happy with what they see. :)

Tudsuo7.jpg

ZIzT7pI.jpg

The problem is, everyone has their own way of doing things, and no ones taste is ever exactly the same. Suggestions are great as long as the tank owner is happy with what they see. :)
I dont really know much about shrimp other than they need a biological filter, most shrimp prefer a heater and i know what most shrimp eat i think i want cherry shrimp but will thet be ok in a tank my size?

Tudsuo7.jpg

ZIzT7pI.jpg

I have decided to use it as a brine shrimp tank to occasionally feed the fish i our saltwater tank down stairs, i was just wondering if it would be ok to add live sand in the brine shrimp tank?

Cherry shrimp will do fine without a heater provided the water temperature is stable.

Bamboo shrimp I wouldn't put in a tank this size, they filter food from the water column, a tank this small wouldn't be able to provide ample food.

Brine shrimp would work but the eggs need to be dried before they'll hatch if I recall correctly, if I were you I'd go for cherry shrimp.

You could also go for amano, crystal red, crystal black shrimp, there are many other species but finding them is another issue.

Cherry shrimp will do fine without a heater provided the water temperature is stable.

Bamboo shrimp I wouldn't put in a tank this size, they filter food from the water column, a tank this small wouldn't be able to provide ample food.

Brine shrimp would work but the eggs need to be dried before they'll hatch if I recall correctly, if I were you I'd go for cherry shrimp.

You could also go for amano, crystal red, crystal black shrimp, there are many other species but finding them is another issue.
I have decided to use the tank for brine shrimp FOR NOW i will probaly change to cherry shrimp later on or slightly upgrade to a bigger tank and then get some cherry shrimp:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back