Stocking Issue!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

ChloeB

Reaction score
Hi i am having an issue right now with the types of fish in my tank. I acquired a handful of fish from my friend who moved out of state without doing my research and I donā€™t want them to die but donā€™t know the best plan of action.

Currently I have a 45 gal tank with a canister filter at 75 gal capacity and a penguin 350 hob filter (also 75 gal capacity), water temp at 78f and ph at 7

Here is my current stock:

3 gbrs (from friend)
1 sunburst dwarf gourami (from friend)
5 cardinal tetras (from friend)
5 otos
5 kuhli loaches
1 juvenile rainbow shark
5 zebra danios
5 neon tetras

The gourami is now attacking the gbrs and the rainbow shark is attacking the gbrs as well. I know I screwed up putting them all together but Iā€™m not sure what to do to keep them all alive and well? Thank you for helping!!

Hi i am having an issue right now with the types of fish in my tank. I acquired a handful of fish from my friend who moved out of state without doing my research and I donā€™t want them to die but donā€™t know the best plan of action.

Currently I have a 45 gal tank with a canister filter at 75 gal capacity and a penguin 350 hob filter (also 75 gal capacity), water temp at 78f and ph at 7

Here is my current stock:

3 gbrs (from friend)
1 sunburst dwarf gourami (from friend)
5 cardinal tetras (from friend)
5 otos
5 kuhli loaches
1 juvenile rainbow shark
5 zebra danios
5 neon tetras

The gourami is now attacking the gbrs and the rainbow shark is attacking the gbrs as well. I know I screwed up putting them all together but Iā€™m not sure what to do to keep them all alive and well? Thank you for helping!!
I think the first step is to divide them one way or another. If you can afford a 30 gallon tank, buy one of those and put the gbrs in there. You can use filter media from your current tank and borrow some substrate and hopefully that will "cycle" the tank. If you can't do that, go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up some lighting diffuser. It's white (generally) and is in a grid pattern. Break it into pieces that you can divide your tank with.

Here's some other info as well:
  • Rainbow Shark will end up eating your neon tetras.
  • Those Tetras should be kept in groups of 8-10.
  • Zebra Danios need colder temperatures, while the other fish need hotter. I recommend moving them as well. (Not with the GBRs, they need 78 degrees minimum, where as the Zebras need 75 degrees maximum.)
  • If you DON'T have a lid, GET ONE! Your rainbow shark will most definitely jump.
  • Gouramis aren't necessarily the 'best' community fish. Move them to a new tank.
  • The Honey Gourami needs live plants and lots of cover! Preferably floating plants too!
  • Your danios need groups of 8-10!
Conclusion:
  • Move your Honey Gourami to a 20 gallon tank, heavily planted.
  • Get your Rainbow Shark a bigger tank as soon as possible, even though as a juvie they can still live in that size tank, it may stunt their growth and they will eat your neon tetras.
  • Move your Zebra Danios to that same 20 gallon tank.
  • Add more danios (preferably 4-5 more!)
  • Add more tetras to your 45 (preferably 4-5 or more!)
Regards, Hyr.

Okay so I talked to my local store and they took the shark off of my hands. I ended up buying a 29gal tank and another heater (had an extra filter laying around) and split the groups.

43 gal tank stock at 78-80*f:
1 DG; I have live plants and plenty of cover :)
3 Gbrs
5 cardinals
5 neons

29 gal tank stock at 74-76*f:
5 otos
5 Black kuhlis
5 zebra danios

But Iā€™ll look at adding more danios and tetras to each tank!

Reactions: Hyr
Okay so I talked to my local store and they took the shark off of my hands. I ended up buying a 29gal tank and another heater (had an extra filter laying around) and split the groups.

43 gal tank stock at 78-80*f:
1 DG; I have live plants and plenty of cover :)
3 Gbrs
5 cardinals
5 neons

29 gal tank stock at 74-76*f:
5 otos
5 Black kuhlis
5 zebra danios

But Iā€™ll look at adding more danios and tetras to each tank!
I would recommend using this site for info: seriouslyfish.com.
That'll help you out a lot. :)
If you have any more questions, just tag me in a post ( @Hyr ) and I'll be sure to help you out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back