Stocking Ideas For 50 Gal Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Atsy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Need stocking ideas for a 50 gallon tank, 48" x 12" x 20".  Got it for a steal off craigslist, upgraded the filter and will probably upgrade the lights at some point in the near future since I would like to have more plants and what is there really isn't enough watts per gallon.

Filter: Fluval 406
Substrate: play sand
Lights: 2 T-8 15 watts

I am new to the hobby, my hubs is very well versed in taking care of freshwater fish but is taking a backseat since this is my project.  (He can help with maintenance, water changes, tank cleanings etc
wink.png
 ).

So, we are looking at fairly small shoaling fish, such as tetras.  Not too sure what else.  We like cherry barbs, maybe swordtails, or zebra danios.  I'm really interested in inverts for some reason. We were thinking of having some Malaysian Trumpet Snails and possibly some red cherry shrimp. 

Anyways, here is a photo of the tank so far, have a few plants, driftwood, rocks, a rock with moss that looks like a really bad toupee, and the lovely brown algae that is growing while we cycle.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  All appreciated!

DSC05584_zps4f4eda71.jpg

Just wondering, why do you not have your tank filled to the top, and keep it there? I've seen many other people do that, so I was just wondering, I like keeping mine filled past the black line.

So if you want to do shoaling fish (i.e. tetras) as you said, then you don't want swordtails as those are livebearers (higher pH) and your tetras are lower pH, so while many people do mix them, it is not the best, and if some babies can hide under that tree to the left or in the plants as they go you could get many unwanted babies. Here's what I recommend:

*2 bristlenose pleco 
*16 cardinal tetras
*4 german blue rams
*inverts are great (mts are good but may overpopulate, however a few assassin snails will solve that problem if you ever have it). also cherry shrimp are good but you may want to add them first to give them a chance to grow and populate the tank, so if other fish eat them (which is a change), your fish will still be safe.
*1 dwarf gourami 

That is what I would do. The amount of fish you can keep vary's based on how quickly you introduce them, your filter, live plants, and your speed of water changes.

Great looking tank, and I'm glad your cycling, your off to a great start!

cpwebsite said:
Just wondering, why do you not have your tank filled to the top, and keep it there? I've seen many other people do that, so I was just wondering, I like keeping mine filled past the black line.

So if you want to do shoaling fish (i.e. tetras) as you said, then you don't want swordtails as those are livebearers (higher pH) and your tetras are lower pH, so while many people do mix them, it is not the best, and if some babies can hide under that tree to the left or in the plants as they go you could get many unwanted babies. Here's what I recommend:

*2 bristlenose pleco 
*16 cardinal tetras
*4 german blue rams
*inverts are great (mts are good but may overpopulate, however a few assassin snails will solve that problem if you ever have it). also cherry shrimp are good but you may want to add them first to give them a chance to grow and populate the tank, so if other fish eat them (which is a change), your fish will still be safe.
*1 dwarf gourami 

That is what I would do. The amount of fish you can keep vary's based on how quickly you introduce them, your filter, live plants, and your speed of water changes.

Great looking tank, and I'm glad your cycling, your off to a great start!

It is not filled up because we are still cycling and will do a big water change when it finally cycles. I figured a few inches down wasn't a big deal. I plan on keeping it filled when there are some occupants.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the list! I hadn't thought of cardinal tetras, nice. Nice that bristlenose stay small. I don't want a 3' pleco!! The more ideas the better!

Is it ok to add cherry shrimp when the substrate isn't mature yet or there isn't a lot of detritus and algae to munch on???

I like cpwebsite's suggestion but personally I'd leave out the dwarf gourami and replace it with a pearl gourami.
Here's my suggestion:
15 pristella/ X-ray tetras
8 cories
2 keyhole cichlids
15 shrimp

Weird, I must have accidentally deleted the big photo of the tank.

Resizedtank_zps7a398d01.jpg

TallTree01 said:
I like cpwebsite's suggestion but personally I'd leave out the dwarf gourami and replace it with a pearl gourami.
Here's my suggestion:
15 pristella/ X-ray tetras
8 cories
2 keyhole cichlids
15 shrimp

Any specific type of cory you like or just any?
Keyhole cichlids get to be about 6" right?  Isn't that a little large in comparison to the tetras and cories which are around 2 - 2 1/2"?  Would they try and eat the smaller fish and shrimp?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ok new ideas:
Gourami (of some kind, the smaller ones) - can I have more than 1 or will they fight in a tank my size?
Tetras
Shrimp
MTS (I know they may overbreed but I'll deal w/that later)
What about killifish?  Will that mix ok? 
Danios? 

Too many choices.....don't know what to do.  I think maybe the barbs will be too aggressive and nip the smaller fish, y/n?

The keyholes do get large but 90% of the time there as placid as a ...... Um.... A duck.
I googled and the keyholes should do fine with shrimp.
As for the gouramis, there are some species where males won't fight but Normally I wouldn't reccomend males to be kept together. If you want multiple ones you need at least 2 females for every male.
I hear killifish arent aggressive but they sometimes eat fish like tetras.
Many danios prefer cooler water than tropical tanks provide but they do fine in full tropical water. They are very very very active and sometimes stress slow moving fish.

What are MTS?

TallTree01 said:
The keyholes do get large but 90% of the time there as placid as a ...... Um.... A duck.
I googled and the keyholes should do fine with shrimp.
As for the gouramis, there are some species where males won't fight but Normally I wouldn't reccomend males to be kept together. If you want multiple ones you need at least 2 females for every male.
I hear killifish arent aggressive but they sometimes eat fish like tetras.
Many danios prefer cooler water than tropical tanks provide but they do fine in full tropical water. They are very very very active and sometimes stress slow moving fish.

What are MTS?
Interesting.  Thanks for the info!  I've researched and read about so many fish that it is getting confusing what works with what!  I would like to have a variety of fish but it seems that might not be much of an option.  Maybe I need a bigger tank.... ha ha!

MTS = Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

I really like cherry barbs. They're pretty easy to keep happy. Plus, they shoal and add a pop of color to the tank without being as hyperactive as, say, a guppy. I've got eight in my 55 gallon. You could do a number around there as well. Tiger barbs are fin-nippers, but I haven't heard the same said about cherries. You could get a couple of rams too. Bolivians and Germans are beautiful and not too expensive either. Electric blue rams run anywhere from 15-40 dollars, but the German and Bolivian rams are around 8-15. Also, they get to be, from what I've seen, about three inches, which makes them great for these size tanks. You could have two or four. (I have three German blue rams joining my tank next week, and then I'm adding a fourth).

I haven't had any gourami since my first tank (which was way too small and I had done NO research!!), but they are pretty popular. A lot of people think they are pretty. Just make sure that they have access to air as they do like to come up for air frequently. Betta fish do the same.

Speaking of bettas, have you considered a betta sorority?

attibones said:
I really like cherry barbs. They're pretty easy to keep happy. Plus, they shoal and add a pop of color to the tank without being as hyperactive as, say, a guppy. I've got eight in my 55 gallon. You could do a number around there as well. Tiger barbs are fin-nippers, but I haven't heard the same said about cherries. You could get a couple of rams too. Bolivians and Germans are beautiful and not too expensive either. Electric blue rams run anywhere from 15-40 dollars, but the German and Bolivian rams are around 8-15. Also, they get to be, from what I've seen, about three inches, which makes them great for these size tanks. You could have two or four. (I have three German blue rams joining my tank next week, and then I'm adding a fourth).

I haven't had any gourami since my first tank (which was way too small and I had done NO research!!), but they are pretty popular. A lot of people think they are pretty. Just make sure that they have access to air as they do like to come up for air frequently. Betta fish do the same.

Speaking of bettas, have you considered a betta sorority?

I like the look of cherry barbs too.  I wasn't sure if they were as nippy as tigers.  I haven't considered any bettas because we were originally thinking tiger barbs, and I didn't want them to eat the fins off the betta.  That might be a nice pretty fish to have....what is in your tank?  Cherries and then a few rams?  Is that it?

New question to add to thread:
I am almost done cycling, but I have tons of brown algae all over the place.  After I do a water change, should I scrub the plants and decorations of the algae or should I leave some of it?  Will the shrimp or snails eat it or should I do my best to get rid of it?

Howdy,
Brown algae or diatoms are common in new set ups. You can clean up or allow them to go away by themselves.
Some great suggestions for fish. Never kept them, but everbody I know who keeps cherry barbs say they are pretty laid back for barbs.
I say you have to have some cories, but I love cories. Gbr's have been mentioned, but I prefer bolivians. Love gouramis, and many varieties have males that can be kept together. Sparkling gouramis are lovely. The betta sorrority is cool.
But as you have said, so many choices.

Your husband helping with waterchanges and maintinence sounds like hiw I got back into fishkeeping. My wife got a 10gal. that I would clean and maintain.

frapadoodle said:
Howdy,
Brown algae or diatoms are common in new set ups. You can clean up or allow them to go away by themselves.
Some great suggestions for fish. Never kept them, but everbody I know who keeps cherry barbs say they are pretty laid back for barbs.
I say you have to have some cories, but I love cories. Gbr's have been mentioned, but I prefer bolivians. Love gouramis, and many varieties have males that can be kept together. Sparkling gouramis are lovely. The betta sorrority is cool.
But as you have said, so many choices.

Your husband helping with waterchanges and maintinence sounds like hiw I got back into fishkeeping. My wife got a 10gal. that I would clean and maintain.
Funny! I plan on keeping up with it...  I'm sure she said the same thing. 
wink.png

I have been doing research on the algae and that's the consensus!  Thanks!  I think I'll clean the easy areas and leave the tougher ones.

How do I figure out what gouramis can be kept together?  Just ask the LFS?

Is a betta sorority just what is sounds like?  A bunch of female bettas?

@attibones cherry barbs are also as peaceful as ducks. You're correct in saying tigers are as peaceful as a hungry lion guarding her cubs.
@atsy id leave the algae for the shrimp and snail. LFS are rarely truthful theyre in it for the money mostly. Ask on TFF ( us ) about gourami compatibility here's a general list:
3 spot/ opaline/ gold/ platinum- don't keep males together keep more females then males. They're semi aggressive fish. Probably Wouldnt work with cherry barbs
Dwarf- peaceful but males might fight keep more females then males
Pearl- most peaceful gourami
Honey- not sure. Think they're peaceful.

Yeah betta sorority is a heap of females. What's sorority mean?
Rams are mostly peaceful occasionally aggressive too small to do much damage to adultvcherry barbs. I reccomend Bolivian as have heard they are easier to keep. Heard Germans are very picky about their water.

I like the look of cherry barbs too.  I wasn't sure if they were as nippy as tigers.  I haven't considered any bettas because we were originally thinking tiger barbs, and I didn't want them to eat the fins off the betta.  That might be a nice pretty fish to have....what is in your tank?  Cherries and then a few rams?  Is that it?
I have six albino Cory cats, a handful of ghost shrimp, eight cherry barbs, one Dalmatian molly, and four German Blue Rams in my tank. I thought I was only getting three rams to start, but the guy who is selling them has sent me a bonus fish. I may end up getting another pair of cherry barbs, but I like the activity level of the tank now.

I highly recommend the peppered cories!  They have been my most entertaining fish.  They swim kind of clownish and if you have nothing that scares them in your tank they will swim everywhere.  I have a few that love to cuddle in with the grass I have on the floor of the tank.  I think I've finally decided on our stock list for my 50 gallon but I have to wait until my tank cycles... 
6 neons
6 peppered corydoras
6 guppies
2 german gold rams

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back